𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞: 𝒑𝒊𝒄𝒏𝒊𝒄𝒔, 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒅𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒔, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒏 𝒊𝒏𝒋𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒅𝒈𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒄𝒌

The next day proved bright and beautiful. Regent's Park seemed to shine in the late afternoon sunlight, from the York Gate to the green lawn stretching down to the lake. By the time Cordelia and Alastair arrived, the east bank was already crowded with young Shadowhunters. Colorful woven blankets of bright cerise and sky-blue cotton had been thrown over the grass, and little groups were seated around picnic hampers and crowded down by the lakeside.

Some of the younger set were floating miniature boats on the water, and the white sails of them made the lake look thick with swans. The older girls were in pastel day dresses or skirts with high-necked blouses, the young men in knit sweaters and plus fours. Some were decked out in mundane rowing gear—jackets and trousers in white linen, though white, for Shadowhunters, was traditionally the color of mourning and usually avoided.

Dahlia and Aridane were running late, again. This time there were no ducks but Ariadne had forgotten the picnic basket when they were half way to the Park.

The Bridgestocks were supposed to be early so they could reveal some thrilling news as Dahlia's parents had put it that morning, so the adults had set out leaving the two girls behind. Maurice Bridgestock as very displeased at their tardiness. 

The Inquisitor and his wife were sitting on a large lilac picnic blanket, Dahlia's father noticed the girls struggling through the crowd with a large basket and motioned for them to hurry.

As they rushed they passed Cordelia Carstairs and Anna Lightwood. Anna blew Dahlia a kiss as they passed, Dahlia smiled at Anna and looked nervously at her sister. Ariadne was looking anywhere but Anna.

"Sorry, let's go." Dahlia muttered softly. Ariadne walked fast, almost tripping. Dahlia ran up behind her sister, "Ari, are you okay?" she asked her softly, so their parents wouldn't hear them.

Before Ariadne could reply, their parents called out. "Dahlia! Ariadne!" yelled their mother. 

The settled the basket in the center of the blanket, Dahlia patted her sister's hand and looked at her father apologetically. "Sorry father we-"

"Oh never mind that, I have some wonderful news! Matthew, my boy, come out please!" he said, cheerfully. Dahlia stared at her father as if he had lost his mind. Matthew revealed himself from behind a tree.

Maurice stood up, holding his hand out for Dahlia. She hesitantly placed her hand in his and hauled herself up, now at eye level with Matthew. "Matthew follow me if you please." he said, walking in fast paces, Dahlia's hand still his, Dahlia struggling to catch up with his fast paced walking and Matthew walking next to him with infuriating ease.

There was a small Italian folly near the lake, complete with white pillars. That was where the Inquisitor led the two Shadowhunters.

"So I have spoken with the Consul, and she has agreed to this as well." he said, looking pointedly at Matthew, who was looking back at Maurice with lazy amusement. As usual.

"You two are to be married!" he said happily. Matthew's eyes flickered for a second, he glanced at Dahlia with a look that clearly meant: I told you so.

Dahlia sighed deeply and waved her hand discreetly at him. Matthew smiled slightly, "Oh that's wonderful! See, I have been courting Dahlia for a few months now." he said looking at Dahlia endearingly. Dahlia nearly gagged.

She forced a loving smile on her face, "Yes father, I am quiet in love." 

Matthew glanced at her, "In fact-" he started, dragging Dahlia to the center of the park.