𝟐: 𝟒𝟎𝟓

"𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒉𝒂𝒍𝒇 𝒐𝒇 𝒎𝒆. 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒊𝒕 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒈𝒐 𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝒕𝒐 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒘𝒆 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒔𝒑𝒆𝒂𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈?."

Christopher was at her flat in all of ten minutes, how he got here so fast she did not ask. Her head was on his lap where he was reading a book. His hand was gently in her hair. "What has gotten you so worked up, Kaash?"

Christopher had decided to call her by her Indian name, it made Dahlia happy knowing her roots weren't lost.

"Matthew paid a visit earlier," Dahlia muttered. Christopher nodded slowly, urging her to say more. "He was apologising and trying to make it up to me. I did not forgive him yet, I owe it to myself, right, Chris? To this child, that their father is not a flake."

"Matthew is fighting his inner demons, I do not think he is in the best state to be a father. Good thing he still has eight more months."

Dahlia laughed. "You are so right."

"The Thieves and Co are going to be meeting at the Tavern later. I did not know if you would be up to it due to your...condition. It is alright if you aren't willing to come, I shall make a very reasonable excuse for those of us who do not know."

Dahlia shook her head. "No, I want to come."

"Have you told Thomas?"

"I told Alastair, I should believe he told Thomas, but if he hasn't I shall tell him today."

Christopher placed a kiss on Dahlia's hair. "Aught till death do thee and me apart," Christopher said, reciting their vows.

Dahlia smiled, tearfully, nodding. "Aught till death do thee and me apart."

"Come then, we must make haste. We are going to be late." Christopher said.

Dahlia rose slowly, careful not to make sudden movements, she was scared of messing something up. She rushed to her bedroom and drew her gloves and a shawl. She left the flat with Christopher in tow, he made sure to lock the door and Dahlia could've cried once more.

When they reached Dahlia felt the urge to cry only this time from happiness, she hadn't realized how comforting their little gatherings had been, how normal. And she hadn't realized how much she had yearned for it.

The little room inside was crowded. It seemed almost everyone else had already arrived: James, Matthew, Thomas, Lucie and Jesse, of course, but also Anna, and even her sister. All the available furniture from the adjacent bedroom had been dragged in so that there was a seat for everyone (counting the window ledge, where Lucie had perched), but it was a tight squeeze. James and Matthew weren't sitting next to one another, which Dahlia did not want to think about too much.

A chorus of greetings rose up as they came in. Thomas detached himself from the arm of Anna's chair and came over to them, his hazel eyes bright. Christopher left them alone and Dahlia could feel Matthew's watchful eyes. Dahlia smiled at Thomas, she hadn't seen him much but she got the sense he knew there was something going on with th mount of visits his cousin was doing.

"Did Alastair tell you?" Dahlia whispered, hopefully, the buzz in the room drowned her voice.

"Tell me what?" Thomas questioned. Dahlia smiled, shaking her head, "I shall tell you later then. Right now we are waiting for Cordelia and Alastair, correct?"

Thomas nodded, seeming a little giddy at the thought of Alastair. Dahlia smiled wider.

She found herself a seat near her sister who smiled at her. "Hello, darling. Feeling up to social gatherings?"