𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧: 𝒃𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒔, 𝒂𝒓𝒈𝒖𝒆𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒅𝒈𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒄𝒌

Tessa and Laurina had thrown together the traditional engagement party for James, Cordelia, Dahlia and Matthew at a moment's notice, but it was so lovely one would have guessed she had spent weeks planning it. The ballroom was bright with festive witchlights and candles, the walls hung about with ribbons in wedding gilt. Lace-draped tables bore plates of sweets, all in the theme of yellow and gold: iced lemon pastries stuffed with cream, cut-glass dishes of crystallized fruit, bonbons in fancy gold wrappings on an epergne, yellow plum and apricot tartlets. There were tumbling arrangements of flowers in urns on pillars around the ballroom: peonies, creamy camellias, sheaves of tall yellow gladioli, sprays of mimosa, pale gold roses and daffodils. The room was full of happy people—the quarantine was over, and everyone wanted to gather and gossip and congratulate Will, Tessa, Maurice and Laurina on the engagements.

Yet Tessa, even as she slipped an arm around Will's waist and smiled at Ida Rosewain, who had arrived in a simply enormous hat, looked worried. Laurina, who was chatting with one of the Wenworths, was rather shocked when Dahlia and Ariadne had burst into their home and told their parents about the news.

Dahlia had arrived a few minutes ago, chatting happily with her sister and Christopher. She was wearing a mint green lace gown with golden silk skirts under it which showed at the slit in the center, the top of the dress was simple. It painly mint and had a golden rosette in the middle near her chest. Her hair was dark with pearls in it, and she was wearing her diamond earrings. 

Cordelia came in with her mother and brother, Sona looking darkly regal in a green dress and black velvet roosari, Alastair—well, Lucie hardly noticed Alastair until he handed his hat to the maid and she realized he'd dyed his hair back to its natural black. It stood out strikingly against the brown of his skin.

And then there was Cordelia, arrayed in a tapering gown of deep blue silk and golden tulle, sleeves ruched and an opalescent brooch gathering together silk and gauze in a rosette between her breasts. Risa had dressed her hair with pearls winking among the dark red strands.

James took her hands and kissed her cheek. Both he and Cordelia looked aware of how many people were staring at them and probably whispering. Cordelia's announcement at the Enclave meeting, though it had led to marriage, remained the shock of the season.

Annoyed on their behalf, Dahlia began to make her way across the room toward her family. She was headed off by Thomas, carrying their little cousin Alexander. Aunt Cecily and Uncle Gabriel had clearly palmed Alexander off on Thomas while they devoted themselves to party preparation. It was rather sweet to see tall, muscular Thomas carefully carrying a child, though Dahlia would never tell him so lest he get a swelled head.

"Dahl," Thomas said. "I must go greet Cordelia and Alastair. Could you take this awful brat?"

"Not a brat," said Alexander, who was sucking a piece of licorice.

"I could," Dahlia acknowledged. "Fine, I shall." she sighed, taking the child into her arms.

"Matthew," demanded Alexander darkly. Matthew was his favorite pseudo-relative. "Oscar."

"I don't think Oscar was invited, old chap," said Thomas. "What with him being a dog."

"I think I'd better go look for Matthew," said Dahlia, as Alexander appeared to be about to slump into despair. Thomas gave her a wry salute and headed into the crowd, which had only grown. Dahlia saw with some delight that Magnus Bane had appeared, dressed rather like a pirate, with ruby buttons on his waistcoat and ruby jewels in his ears. He definitely raised the tone of the party.