𝟒: 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐍

"𝑪𝒂𝒓𝒏𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒉𝒂𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒓𝒐𝒔𝒆𝒔, 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕'𝒔 𝒖𝒔."

"The baby is healthy, though the heartbeat is a little duller than desired." Brother Ecnoh said. Dahlia nodded. He had been there for a whole of two hours. She smiled gratefully, "Thank you, Brother Enoch."

He nodded in return before departing. Dahlia lay in her bed for a little longer, a bit tired.

She traced the necklace Matthew had gifted what felt like ages ago.

She missed their banter. She missed him so wholly, it hurt her physically. The carnations he had gotten her lay beside her bed on her nightstand. Dahlia planned to candy each of the petals and store them for when she wanted a snack.

The flowers were beautiful, yes, but they made her sick to her stomach with heartbreak. A fresh reminder of her failed marriage. Well, almost failed marriage.

She hoped Matthew was doing better than she was. Her hand fell back to her stomach, tracing circles. She would tell Matthew at the Christmas party. Dahlia wished to hear the heartbeats of her child today, but it seemed cruel to do it without Matthew. She felt if not have the joy of finding out about being a father, then he ought to at least have the joy of hearing their heartbeats.

Dahlia decided she missed Oscar. He had been staying with Charlotte and Henry while Matthew and Dahlia got settled into their new homes, according to Charlotte. After Matthew left, Dahlia had gone to visit the dog more and more.

But it was late, and she was a little tired. She fought to stay away, but eventually sleep overcame her and she fell into its deep, comforting clutches.

Later that morning, Alastair came barging into her flat with a box of cinnamon buns looking strange. Dahlia motioned for him to sit on the futon by the window while she prepared some chai for herself. She was probably going to vomit it all later, but she was so mad that she couldn't drink her favourite drink.

She was sure she was drinking it just to spite her baby at this point.

"You are going to vomit," Alastair said, matter of factly. Dahlia nodded, taking a long sip. The familiar taste of ginger and tea leaves soothed her mind. "I am well aware," she replied after a moment. "It is the whole point of it."

Alastair sighed and placed the cinnamon buns in front of her. "I've also asked for some strawberry glaze on a few. If it makes your nausea worse, let me know, azizam."

Dahlia smiled widely at the other man. "You are my favourite person at the moment. " She told him, biting into a bun.

"I also came here with news about your husband. He's decided to be a fool and quit drinking all at once. Cordelia went to see him at the Hell Ruelle, said she was worried about him, and found him heaving over a gutter."

Dahlia's movements froze. "What? Is he alright?"

Alastair shook his head, "I am unaware fo the details at the moment, love, but from experience, I can say it never ends well for a drunk to quit all at once. I've seen my father almost get killed over it quite a few times."

Dahlia was already grabbing her shawl, placing the cinnamon bun back into the box. She finished the rest of her chai and prayed to the Angel that she wouldn't have nausea during her trip to visit Matthew.