"Could Gilbert please come into the room?", I asked one of the midwives, and they both looked at each other. "Please", I demanded, with tears in my eyes. "As you said, I am far from the baby coming. I want a chance to say goodbye. It'll be quick."

When they agreed, my mother went to go get him. I kneeled down once I got tired of walking, as the midwives suggested it was another option I could use. Gilbert came in with a glass of water, and I got up, hugging him, in tears. "Gilbert", I cried, while he wrapped his arms around me. "Are you alright?", he asked me, running a hand through my hair.

"I just wanted to tell you... if something happens to me, I want you to move on. I wanted a chance to say goodbye." I sniffled, and his eyes widened. "Nothing bad is happening, but as you said, childbirth is dangerous, and I just... I... wanted to say I love you..." 

He kissed me passionately and quickly, with tears in his eyes. "I love you too, my dear heart."

"Promise me you'll take care of Anastasie. And if our bundle of joy survives, take care of it."

"I promise, my dear heart." I cried while he was lead out of the room, and Louise gave me the glass of water he gave me. "It will be alright, Adrienne." 

--

As the labor progressed, I strained another push. "The baby is not turned right", one of the midwives observed. I cried, knowing that death may be inevitable. "Mademoiselle Dupont, I need your help." the other rushed over, while I continued to cry in pain. Clotilde, still an innocent teenager, cried in our older sisters arms, which was a quick embrace, with Louise having to rush over to keep my head sturdy and give me water to keep from fainting.

"What would you like me to do, miss?", Mademoiselle Dupont asked frantically. 

"I need you to apply pressure to her abdomen while I reach in and turn the baby right", Madame Martin told her. I cried, "Mother, I'm scared", I confessed. 

My mother cupped my cheek, "Rosalie came into the world like this, and I was terrified, too. But if you do not act quickly, I'm afraid..." she trailed off, "We have to do this, Adrienne. I'm right here."

My mother held my hand, while the midwives helped turn the baby right. I screamed and cried, fearing I will die never meeting my third child. I looked at the ceiling, and I saw Gilbert, Anastasie. I had to do it for them. I strained, while Madame Martin turned her hand. "The baby is turned right, now." I gasped, laying back down on the pillow. 

Gilbert came in with another pitcher of water, and we shared a quick look. "You are ready to push, Madame de Lafayette. Whenever you're ready", Madame Martin told me. He smiled, leaving the room to give me some privacy, and Clotilde gave me some more water. 
"A few more pushes, Madame." I felt the babies head, and I continued to push more. 

I pushed one last time, hearing a shrill cry escape. The umbilical cord was cut, and I gasped in relief, laying down on the bed while the midwife gave the baby to my mother after they were done giving it the proper care. "Open the windows, Adrienne needs some air", mother commanded my sisters, who acted quickly. 

Gilbert happily entered the room, sitting by my side and stroking my blonde locks, smiling at me while my sisters fawned over the baby. "It's a boy, look!", Clotilde exclaimed, and Louise gasped. Mother laughed, "Now, girls. Please give the mother who did all the work her son." The two giggled in spite of themselves, giving Gilbert our bundle of joy. 

"May I present, the future Marquis de Lafayette", he told me, presenting me our baby, passing him to me. I sat up, smiling at our son. "He's so beautiful", I told my darling husband. The baby had a thin layer of auburn hair, which explained the heartburn that he gave me, with blue eyes, which I knew would either remain blue, like Gilbert's, or turn brown, like mine. "What should we name him?", I whispered. 

"Georges Washington de Lafayette", Gilbert told me. I laughed, before realizing he was serious. "After the general?", I asked him, snuggling our son close in my arms. "Sorry for the laughter, it is a clever name." I smiled at the baby. "What do you think, Georges?", Gilbert asked lightheartedly, causing a coo from our son. I giggled a little, "I suppose he likes it. Alright, Georges it is." 

Anastasie rushed into the room once we told Mother it was alright to let her in. "Come here, Anastasie", Gilbert grinned, placing her on the bed. "Who's that?", she asked innocently, looking at her brother, who was swaddled in blankets. I smiled tiredly at her, but was able to laugh, "This is Georges, Anastasie." Adorably, Anastasie peered at the little one. "Is this the sibling you were talking about?" Gilbert smiled, "yes, Anastasie. He is your brother." 

"This is the best Christmas gift ever!" My heart melted at our innocence, while she continued to stare at her brother. "How did he get in belly?"

Gilbert and I blushed, looking at each other. "...off to bed with you, 'Tasie." Anastasie laughed, while my husband swung her over his shoulder. "Night-Night, Mama! Night-Night, Georges!" I smiled, waving goodnight while I kissed my son's head. "Welcome to the world, little one."