13 | The Devil's Mistress

Start from the beginning

I don't understand why Janet is doing this, or even if she's doing it at all. It's not like Diana was ever involved in her death. I may not know the present-day Diana and her state of mind, but I know the Diana from ten years ago. She was my best friend. She would never play a role in someone's suffering. It has to be something else...or someone.

It isn't long after that the car door unlocks and Aiden appears by my side, his face cold with guilt. I wipe my tears away and take in a deep breath.

"Did you find anythi—"

Before I can finish my sentence, he leans over and wraps his arms around me in a hug.

I don't know if it's the warmth of his embrace or just the thought of his guilt alongside mine, but the tears spill out again, this time even more violently.

I pull him closer, my sobs wetting his sleeve. He keeps holding me as I break down in his arms. I feel his fingers sliding down my hair, his hands rubbing my back as he comforts me.

"I should've...done something—" I say between my cries. It isn't just Diana's image that flashes before me as I close my eyes; there are also my parents, standing right in my line of vision. I can't make out the expression on their face. It's hazy, but I know it's them because it isn't the first time I could've stopped a tragedy from occurring.

It isn't the first time I've mourned someone so close to me when I could've prevented it all from happening in the first place.

The illusion of them in my head slows down my sobs and with much force, Aiden and I part. His large gray eyes are cautious like they will hurt me any moment now.

I suck in a sharp breath and ask him. "Did you find anything in there?"

He pauses for a moment before shaking his head. "We think it's a kidnapping. There's no blood, no signs of forced entry, no signs of struggle, nothing."

"So, it should be someone she knows, right?" I ask and he nods.

"That's our best possible guess. We still have to check the CCTV footage in case it gives us some answers," he explains.

I accept his theory for now for my sanity. Deep down though, I know she may be out there unprotected and in grave danger.

Aiden's phone rings and on the screen flashes a familiar name.

"It's Archie," he says before picking it up. "Detective Jackson speaking," he states into the receiver. The muffled voice on the other causes him to put the phone on speaker. "Sorry, can you repeat that?" Aiden asks the caller.

"I um, I received another box from Janet," Archie's shaky voice says from the other end.

"What does it contain?" I ask him.

He pauses for a second before answering. "It has a ring inside and a Tarot card with 'Moon' written on it," he replies and my heart drops. The Moon is a symbol of trickery, and I'm not sure what that would mean in this context.

"Can you describe the ring for me?" Aiden asks, and there's some shuffling on the other end assuming Archie is picking up and inspecting the ring.

"Yeah, it's a diamond ring with a large ruby stone attached to it," he says, and Aiden grimaces.

"Diana's engagement ring..." I say trailing off and Aiden bobs his head ever so slightly.

"Archie, I'm gonna send some officers to your house and place you under police protection," he says, then hangs up and looks over to me. "I'm sorry, Amara..."

I shake my head. "It's just the engagement ring," I mumble.

"What?" Aiden asks.

"Every time Janet sends one of these boxes, there's always a severed body part in them. It's only a ring this time, that too Diana's engagement ring. This doesn't entirely have to do with Diana," I explain, staring at her apartment from the windshield. "It's a trick. All of this. It has to be!"

Aiden doesn't say anything and instead picks up his phone and calls the station to have some officers sent over to Archie's house. After that, he drives me back to my apartment.

Somehow, I feel a sense of relief wash over me. Diana must be safe, alive at the very least. It's only a trick.

Sadie asks me what the matter was but I tell her I'm too tired to explain anything to her. It's true, however, but there's something else I need to check before I can rest.

I lock the door to my room and pull out my laptop to observe the footage from the hidden cameras in the Covingtons' home.

Victor and Patricia are conversing at the dining table. Logan isn't there with them. Before they even speak, their crooked, victorious grins speak volumes.

"I didn't believe it would be so easy to throw her under the bus," Victor says and Patricia passes him an arrogant shrug.

"She's the world's new hate object," she says with a smirk and raises a glass. "To justice."

Victor raises his glass in return, smirking with an equal ego. "To justice," he says, and the both of them down their drinks, their stance evil like a pair of Disney villains.

I ball my fists, nails digging deep into the skin of my palm just in time as Victor orders the maid to bring them a bottle of champagne and I swear I had to double-take.

The maid that arrives holding the bottle — the red hair, the small round face, and short hair with bangs and those eyes...those piercing blue eyes.

I know that face from ten years ago. I can be mistaken but could it be...

"...Janet?"

***

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hey Arcanas,

Sorry for the delay I'm doing my best between work and college to get you guys chapters. I am trying to push full speed ahead from this point forward. However, no promises but I will do my best!
Love you all so much, and let us know how you like the chapter in the comments!
-Author Emily

 However, no promises but I will do my best!Love you all so much, and let us know how you like the chapter in the comments!-Author Emily