eleven.

a few days later

laina sat near the front door on the bottom of the stairway, a packed duffel bag near her feet. the girl wore on levi's old band tees, a pair of black shorts, and converse. her long blonde hair was tied up in a messy bun.

the last few days had been calmer then previously

the last few days had been calmer then previously. the girl had seemingly gotten into a routine, cooking, cleaning. she tried her best to keep herself busy and her mind off things.

levi came down the stairs, in a white dress shirt & black dress pants, his hair slicked back. he looked handsome but laina would never admit it. she didn't care how attractive he was, he was still an awful person.

"ready to go?", he asked her. the girl nodded, watching as he picked up the duffel bag. the girl wearily got up, following him toward the door. before the man walked out the door, he grabbed her arm tightly. a clear sign of lack of trust. he led her out to his car. it felt strange to be outside, it was the first time she had been allowed out since arriving. she was used to being cooped up inside.

opening the door for her, he released his grasp on her arm. the girl climbed in her seat, he buckled her in and placed the duffel bag on the floor of the car beside her.

"i can do it myself", she mumbled.

"mhm", he replied, shutting the door, walking around to go in on his side. the girl debated opening the door and flying out, booking for it but she stayed put, bringing her knees to her chest. she sighed as he got in on his side. the man turned the car on before immediately putting on the child lock so she couldn't open her door.

"you really don't trust me, do you?", the girl asked, annoyed. she looked out the window as he began to pull away from the house.

"not one bit.", he told her.

"hey, you weren't supposed to agree", the girl said, making a fake pouty face.

"i want to be able to trust you laina, more then anything. it's just going to take a bit. i need to see proof i can", he told her. the girl sighed but nodded as he drove.

"can i ask you something?", laina asked him.

"you don't have to ask for permission love, not that i don't like it. but we are in private, you can ask me whatever", levi told her.

"why didn't you find a different wife while i was gone? it's not like i was gone a couple days or weeks, i was gone nearly a year.", the girl said, staring at the window as they drove through the forested roads.

"your father told me you were strong willed when i asked for the arrangement. i knew i wasn't signing up for someone easy. but you are one of the most beautiful girls i've ever laid eyes on. i've had many prospects, but when i saw that picture of you for the first time, i felt something i had never felt before. i knew you were destined to be my wife. having to wait a year is worth it for spending the rest of our lives together.", levi told her. part of laina found the answer sweet but another part found it delusional.

"we are almost there", he said, pulling into the driveway of klaus' estate shortly after. levi got out, letting laina out on her side, grabbing her arm once more.

he walked up to the front porch, knocking. klaus soon answered the door, letting them in. levi let go of laina once inside.

"where's ava?", laina asked klaus quietly.

"upstairs, she's not feeling too well.", klaus said.

"not feeling well, why?", laina asked, playing dumb as if she didn't know.

"i was going to wait to announce it, but she's pregnant", klaus said, his face instantly lighting up.

"wow, that's amazing brother", levi said, giving him a hug, pretending not to know either.

"maybe go upstairs and see how she's doing. i'm sure she'd like the company.", klaus told her. laina nodded, beginning to walk off.

"no hug or kiss goodbye?", levi questioned her. laina sighed and came back over to him, giving him a hug.

"i love you, be good while i'm gone", levi told her, kissing her forehead before releasing his grasp.

"love you too", laina replied, almost by accident, before heading up the stairs. levi stood their shocked. laina sat on the top of the steps out of their sight, eavesdropping.

"seems like things are going better i presume?", klaus questioned.

"yes but it's hard to tell if it's genuine or not or if it's a trick. maybe i'm just paranoid, i don't know.", levi told him.

"a win is a win", klaus told him.

"she's full of tricks, time will show me if this a genuine change of heart from her. keep a close eye on her, lock her in the guest room at night, you know the deal", levi told him.

"yeah, of course. i will take care of things don't worry.", klaus replied.

"and she gets one of these in the morning", levi said, shaking a bottle. she presumed it was the bottle of the medication.

"you drug her?", klaus questioned, his tone semi serious.

"ah don't act like it's so bad. keeps her calm but also it helps with her anxiety. it's a win win.", levi stated.

"it's a strong medication though man..", klaus replied. maybe klaus did have some sort of common sense. it seemed like genuine concern.

"it's good. don't worry.... how do you feel about becoming a dad. i mean that's huge dude.", levi said, changing the topic.

"i mean i'm a bit nervous-", klaus began to say as levi's phone dinged.

"i have to get going, i'm late.. thanks for watching her", levi interrupted him.

"oh yeah of course", klaus said.

"bye brother shoot me a text if anything happens", levi said before the door slammed, him clearly gone.

"bye to you too", klaus said, audibly sighing. klaus soon appeared at the bottom of the stairs, glaring at her.

"sorry", laina said.

"want to smoke?", klaus asked, dismissing her eavesdropping. laina nodded, going down the stairs.