thiry five- secrets

a week later.

it was a quiet evening, laina sitting on the back porch, working on her cross stitch while levi smoked a cigar.

he took a long drag before glancing over her shoulder, seeing what she was working. the girl was engrossed in embroidering flowers onto placemats.

"very elegant.", levi commented, a nod of approval. the girl smiled a bit.

"thank you", she replied quietly.

the man got up, headed toward the door that lead inside to the kitchen but he paused for a second, glancing back at her.

"can i interest you in a drink?", he asked her. the girl nodded and smiled. the idea of something to take the edge off was appealing. she was atleast glad levi wasn't strict when it came to her consumption of alcohol.

"very well", he replied, going inside. he came back out with two large glasses of wine, placing one beside her.

"thank you bab-", laina began to say but cut herself off, realizing she was about to call him 'babe'. it felt natural. a huge grin appeared on levi's face, it was apparent that he knew what she was about to say.

"you're welcome babe", he replied to her, chuckling a bit before sitting beside her. laina nervously smiled, frustrated at herself for letting it slip, before taking a sip.

thirty minutes later

after two and a half glasses of wine, laina had seated herself in levi's lap. she was starting to understand why he liked her tipsy.

"why don't we play a game to get to know each other better?", levi questioned, pushing a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"hmm okay. i'll start. we can ask each other questions, anything", laina replied, tracing his jawline with her finger.

"what's something you did as a kid that you are glad your parents never found out?", laina asked.

"sneaking my father's cigars. it probably started when i was twelve.", he said. the girl's eyes widened.

"twelve?? i still played with dolls when i was twelve", she replied, shocked.

"what about you? what is something you did as a child that you are glad your parents never found out?", the man posed the question back at her. the girl thought for a moment, fidgeting with levi's fingers.

"sneaking out. i did it a few times as a teenager. i would go to the mom & pop soda shop a few blocks from my father's estate.", she explained.

"really? that's the biggest thing? you little goody two shoes", he teased her. the girl shrugged.

"it felt big to me. i was rarely allowed out of the house once i reached a certain age. probably about sixteen. there would be the occasion me and my cousin went to the mall, always supervised, sometimes i'd go with my mother grocery shopping. but that was about it. it was a stark contrast compared to my childhood. i was allowed to go anywhere, whenever i wanted. i realize now he did that because he was preparing for a marriage. but i'd always justify the lack of freedom with his promise of me going to university if i made good grades-", the girl began to say but cut herself off and sighed, knowing levi probably didn't want to hear this. levi stroked the girl's hair.

"it's a mean world out there. i know you must resent your father for his false promises. but i am glad he protected you. i am glad you were given to me. i hope whatever you want to do in life, you come to me with it, and we can find a compromise.", he told her, kissing her head softly.

"thank you", she said softly, sinking into his arms. she couldn't tell if it was the alcohol or if she was starting to harbor real trust and security toward the man.

"levi- what's your biggest secret?", the girl asked. the man scratched his head for a second before glancing at the girl.

"this will never get repeated. promise me that.", he told her. the girl nodded. the man sighed.

"i unplugged my father's life support", levi admitted. laina looked at him, shocked. unsure what to think of it.

"toward the end of his life, he was so sick and so out of it. it was like he wasn't even there, it felt unfair making him lie there and live his life like that. it just felt like the right thing to do.", levi said, broken. laina rubbed his back a bit sympathetically, distraught by what he just told her but also understanding.

"do you have any big secrets? it would make me feel better about sharing that. you are the only living person to know that.", he stated. the girl paused for a moment, thinking before staring at him nervously. she knew what she had to do and she had liquid courage in this moment.

"i-i don't want to say", the girl said nervously. the man furrowed his eyebrows, realizing the secret was something that would upset him.

"tell me girl.", he demanded impatiently. the girl gulped and looked away from him, tearing up at the thought.

"i got assaulted and almost r worded.", the girl said quietly. she could feel the man tense up and turn hot.

"by who?", he said, obviously concerned but also anger in his voice. she hoped not toward her.

"i don't want to cause a problem-", laina protested.

"let this come to light laina. let me get some justice for you. you can tell me, it's okay", he said, calming a bit and rubbing her back.

"peter did..", the girl said, her voice breaking. she felt the man tense up in anger.

"are you being truthful with me?", he demanded, obviously torn. it was his own brother. the girl nodded, glancing over at him, tears streaming down his face.

"it h-happened at his house when we went for the dinner party. i got trapped in the bathroom with him. i tried to scream for help but he covered my mouth and threatened me. if alex hadn't walked in when she did, he would've done far worse", the girl said, obviously broken. it felt good to tell him the truth and let it off her shoulders but his impending reaction scared her.

levi held her tighter, him tearing up a bit too.

"i am going to take care of this. you didn't do anything wrong. i am sorry this happened. i dont understand why he would do such a thing.", he promised her.

"go to the room and get ready for bed. i need to make some calls", the man said, serious. the girl looked at him, unsure if she should regret what she just told him.

she hesitantly got up, wiping away her tears. he got up behind her, gently pushing her back as he led her up to their bedroom.

once in the bedroom, he was silent. he helped her change into a pair of pajama pants and one of his tshirts before tucking her in bed. he turned on a show for her on the tv before kissing her head.

"i will never let anyone hurt you again, i promise you that", he told her before exiting the room and shutting the door.

soon enough, laina could hear small snippets of his phone conversation in the other room.

"i need you out of that house by next week. i don't care where you go, but you are to stay far away from this family. you are disgraceful.", she heard him say, his tone serious. it was probably the angriest she had ever heard him.

relief washed over her, knowing that peter's threats of levi not believing her or blaming her weren't true.

eventually she heard levi's yelling fade out and the man re-enter the room and climb into bed next to her. he brought her close to his chest, holding her.

"i love you", he whispered in her ear, unsure if she was still awake.