Book 2:Chapter 7: Tea

Weeks later Audrey strolls through the doors of the lift. She had now gotten into the swing of being in the police force. She walked down the carpeted isle and took her seat behind a desk which was three tables away from the Chief's door.

She sighed placing her cup of tea on a coaster and immediately dug into the heap of files that had accumulated on her table over the early hours of the morning. She didn't arrive at six anymore, but rather eight, giving her more time in the mornings. Her job was to check over files and return them to those who filled them in- adding sticky notes to wherever there were queries.

"Quality Control" Lin called it, handing her a job that kept her out of danger. Audrey was never informed of the phone call Lin and Tenzin had about her safety and the possibility of being targeted. After scanning a few files she noticed the Chief's absence.

"Where's Chief Beifong?" She asked the man sitting at the table to her left. He was a nervous wreck who's fingers shook and lip quivered whenever anyone so much as looked at him.

"N-n-not h-h-here." He fumbled dropping his pen. Audrey almost rolled her eyes, was it not obvious that the Chief wasn't here?

"Thanks." She mumbled turning to the person on the right, just to find the seat empty. She was about to ask her quivering neighbour why the seat next to her was empty but thought better of it.

She stood up and walked to the row opposite her with the files she had already checked. A woman sat at the desk. "Morning Lila." Audrey smiled, putting three files on her desk. Lila looked up from the file she was busy with and smiled at Audrey.

"Just a few small queries," Audrey smiled sheepishly, realising her job was basically criticizing everyone's files, "Do you know where Chief Beifong is?" Lila took the files from her, "Apparently the Avatar is returning from the North...or was it the South... I can't remember- but the Chief went to welcome them."

'Welcome them' Audrey thought, that probably meant glaring and saying some sarcastic remark.

"Oh that makes sense," Audrey responded turning to go back to her table, not before thanking the brown haired girl.

The next time Audrey left her desk was about half an hour later for lunch. She left the building, wearing a coat to cover up her grandmother's uniform, although she was in Quality Control she still had the ability to arrest anyone if necessary and so wearing the suit was still compulsory.

She walked down the streets away from the station, coming to a small corner café which was decorated with yellow and red stripes.
She strolled in, hearing the bell ring as she entered the door. The scent of coffee and baked goods overpowered all of her senses as the Cafe had, one again, caught her under a spell.
She walked to the counter and ordered a cream cheese bagel and a cup of tea. She then saw Lila sitting at another table waving her over.

"I didn't know you came here." Audrey remarked putting her tea on the wooden table and sitting opposite the officer.

"Thought I'd try something new today." Lila shrugged then frowned, eyeing Audrey's cup, " When do you not drink tea?" She laughed sipping on her own steaming cup of coffee.

Audrey smiled unwrapping her bagel. "When I find out, I'll let you know." She winked then bit into her bagel.

Fifteen minutes later the pair were walking back to the station together, "Can you believe that?" Lila asked for the hundredth time.

Lila was the kind of person who knew almost anything about anyone around her, which made Audrey a little frightened. When Lila asked her if she'd like to 'hear the tea' she definitely didn't expect this.

"And then, it all turned out to be an affair!" Lila gushed, "Can you believe it?" Audrey rolled her eyes.
"Look, I have no idea who the flower shop lady is." She sighed.

"OK, I'll tell you something about someone you may know." Lila paused, thinking.

"Ooh did you know Chief Beifong's first name is Lin?" Lila smirked.

Now Audrey had to act surprised,
"Really? I honestly thought something like...uh...Gertrude or Agnus." She hesitated, feeling uncomfortable teasing her mother- even if she wasn't here.

"That's not even the best part!" Lila wheezed trying to recover from Audrey's remark.

"Rumour has it, she dated the Councilman." She whispered as the police station came into view.

Audrey gasped, in surprise and shock. She couldn't believe Lila  knew this.

"Councilman Tarlok?" Audrey responded, playing dumb.

"No!" Lila laughed as they walked into the elevator.

"Councilman Tenzin!" She squeaked.

"What's the yapping about?" A woman barked behind them.

Audrey turned around quickly seeing the Chief behind her and Lila, her jaw dropped.

"Nothing of importance Chief." Lila, who recovered first, responded.

Audrey closed her mouth and nodded furiously. The Chief turned around, her back towards them and stared at the closed elevator door.
"I need you two with the troops later, there is a peace march we need to oversee."

"Yes Chief." Lila responded quickly.

Audrey saluted but quickly realised the Chief's back was towards her. "Yes Chief, she barely whispered. " Lila clutched her mouth, her face reddening as she desperately tried not to laugh.

"Lila, you must go to floor eight to assist an interrogation."

"Yes Chief," Lila said, getting off on the next floor, leaving Audrey alone with Lin.

"You will be a waterbender when on patrol." Lin stated. "The Avatar has already seen you waterbend, and she will be present. No earthbending. "

"Yes Chief." Audrey responded, without question.

She got off with the Chief on the next floor and walked to her desk, only to see that the empty desk next to her was occupied.

The man looked up, confusion in his eyes.

"Audrey?" He asked.

"Mako?" Audrey responded.

----------------------------------------