Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)

Vitamin C also known as Ascorbic Acid is an organic compound that plays a critical role in the healing of wounds and is responsible for the formation of collagen which is the most commonly occurring protein within the mammal body and is the core component of healthy skin, tendons, bones, and connective tissue. Vitamin C is also an antioxidant that works within the body to reduce free radical formation thus putting a halt to chain reactions that would damage cells. Vitamin C has cardiovascular benefits seen in its ability to help reduce high blood pressure and potential for heart disease. This is accomplished through the widening of blood vessels, allowing for enhanced circulation. In addition Vitamin C has shown to lower cholesterol levels, lowers the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration, and in patients with diabetes has led to decreased damage inflicted by the disorder to the eyes, kidneys, and nerves. Vitamin C enhances the absorption of iron leading to a decreased risk of developing anemia, has a role in reducing seasickness, and has even been shown to reduce the speed of growth of some cancer cells. The best sources of Vitamin C come from fresh oranges, citrus fruits, strawberries, red peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, spinach, broccoli, greens, and fortified cereal and juices. A deficiency of Vitamin C can result in defective collagen formation which is characterized by growth retardation, joint pain, irritability, shortness of breath, anemia, a reduced ability to fight of infections and higher susceptibility to infections. Scurvy is the most commonly attributed disease from an inadequate intake of Vitamin C which has with it the symptoms of bruising, bleeding gums, weakness, fatigue, rash, swelling of the lower extremities, pain upon flexing them, and bone lesions. An excessive amount of Vitamin C intake can cause the development of kidney stones, gastrointestinal issues, and red blood cell destruction.