xvii | silver fish

Začít od začátku

 If Veer could, he'd kiss Sahana and hold her in his arms forever. She was wearing a taller heels today but she was still perfectly slotted against his chest when he held her. He was so close to blurting out that he loved her when she noticed the way she responded to his touch. It was maddening. He couldn't get it out of his head even when she led him through the halls, pausing to talk to a few people and introducing him as Vikrant's schoolmate. Veer could tell she felt smug when some of the women eyed him like a meal, taking pride of the unsaid fact that he was hers. Only hers.

"Ew, don't tell me you did the nasty during your best friend's wedding reception," a tall girl in a green sharara suit said. She was lean, with a round face and bangs. Veer could tell she had dyed her hair black for this occasion. There was amusement and a nonchalant air around her.

"Oh my god, shut up, we didn't!" Sahana said, slapping her best friend's arms and turning a beautiful shade of red.

"You must be Ishita, our unofficial cupid," Veer said, stretching his hand out. "Nice to meet you. You look pretty."

"Finally, the one other person who acknowledges my role in your matchmaking. Wow, just when I thought I couldn't like you more," Ishita said, shaking his hands. Her hand was slender but firm, fingers rough around the edges. Sahana's were soft and dainty. "Nice to finally meet you, Veer. I see now that my best friend wasn't exaggerating about you."

Veer hit it off with Ishita instantly. Sahana left him with her after a meaningful Will you be okay? glance thrown at him and he nodded. That look felt very wifey of her, making him wish they were married already. He cleared his mind and focused on Ishita who was accusing them of faking the coincidence of wearing matching clothes.

The ceremony started. Keerthy and Veer's so-called schoolmate Vikrant stood side by side, their eyes twinkling and their palms folded together in welcome. He noticed how they glanced at each other, as if communicating in a secret language they only knew. Veer wanted that with his firecracker. When Sahana joined him, Keerthy's eyes zoned in on him and waved. Vikrant's eyes followed to him and his soon-to-be-wife whispered something in his ears, making him nod in acknowledgment. A small frown creased his forehead.

Veer felt like he had seen that face somewhere. That familiar frown. But he couldn't place it. Sahana was subtly pointing at people ---- the guy in the blue ugly kurta, the old lady with the gold-rimmed spectacles, the fair-skinned guy two seats next to theirs --- and spilling information about them that he didn't bother seeping into his mind. Veer spent the whole time staring at her and hoping it wasn't obvious how love-sick he was.

Keerthy and Vikrant looked like the power couple. Sahana watched how Vikrant politely greeted every other nurse in Keerthy's hospital who had come and how Keerthy chuckled at something Vikrant's police friends said. They were bridging families and social circles with their marriage and to look at it, it was very heartwarming. All Sahana could think about was how easily Veer would the charm the wits of the people she knew.

When Ishita ushered both of them onto the stage to click pictures, Veer gave the couple a small gift that they'd picked up from his car when they came into the hall. Keerthy beamed, flattered that he'd been thoughtful enough to bring presents because she loved them. Veer congratulated both of them and Keerthy made small talk, after which approval flashed in her eyes. Sahana was relieved. But then Vikrant said, "I got it! I knew I had seen you before. You were the one with the expired license."

Recognition mirrored on Veer's face. "You were the police who caught me. Oh my god, yes. Thanks for letting me go, man. Saved a lot of trouble," he said.

"Did you renew it?"

"Did it right after," Veer said.

Keerthy and Sahana looked at each other. "Care to explain how you two know each other?" The bride asked.

Veer scratched the back of his neck. "I was pulled to the side because I was driving with an expired license. He caught me but he let me go. Good man, he is."

"I let you go because your license expired just two days before. It would be too petty of me to charge you and put you in the system for a mere overlooking on your part. It's too much of a hassle," Vikrant shrugged. Keerthy looked at him with affection, the same look she gave him whenever he did his duty to perfection or took pity on someone because of his 'kind' heart. It felt disgusting before but now Sahana found it cute. Maybe because she was in love with a man herself.

When Veer came to her side and Ishita went to Keerthy's side for the photo, she asked him, "Are there any other criminal records I should know about?"

"Only the one in the future for kidnapping you and keeping you hostage," he whispered, his hand coming around her waist in a way that no one could see it.

"What if I come with you voluntarily?" Sahana murmured back.

"Good for me, then."

The flash went off and the picture was taken. Sahana felt her heart swell. It felt good to be seen with him. It felt good to be close to him.

When food was served on banana leaves --- everything from gulab jamun, paratha, chapati, paneer butter masala, mushroom rolls and half a dosa roast --- Sahana couldn't wait to dig in. Veer pushed her hair back to stop it from falling on the food. The aunty sitting in front of them paused her eating and stared at them, tucking in a smile. "Well, she's going to tell everyone now that I'm in love with you," Sahana said, pushing a piece of paneer inside her mouth.

"Well, aren't you?"

Sahana simply gave him her gulab jamun and smiled. "That isn't something you should be worried about. Now, eat. I don't give my share of dessert just to anyone."

a/n: y'all got incredibly lucky with this one because this chapter wasn't supposed to exist

a/n: y'all got incredibly lucky with this one because this chapter wasn't supposed to exist. the storm is coming though. soon.