XLVIII. Clementine

❧

Tyler was ripping through Wednesday, leaving bloody gashes as she attempted to save herself in vain. Her screams died down when Tyler, the Hyde had finished painting her red.

"Why would you kill her?", I screamed, still in shock.

"She was annoying, quite annoying to be honest. You know, Rose, I knew you were getting closer, I warned her, but she underestimated you. She thought it would be so easy to mislead you and we nearly did. But you were always ahead."

Tyler had cupped my face in his hands, his thumb stroking my cheek. I was petrified. I thought I could predict what he would do next, but at this point, he only had me wishing that I were dead.

"Where's Thornhill Tyler? She would want you to leave me alone. Right now, aren't you disobeying her? Won't she be angry with you?"

"Now that she has attained her objective, she isn't going to pay attention to me. Oh, there's something I don't think you are aware about and it would be fun to jot down in Faulkner's diary."

So it was him that night, I trembled, thinking of all terrible things that could have happened had Emma and Lucas been there.

"Laurel isn't my master anymore. The book you saw - Goody's Book of Shadows, which brought Joseph alive, is actually Wednesday's ancestor's book. Wednesday used the same book that Thornhill used to resurrect Crackstone to gain control over me from Laurel as a secondary master. Do you know that anytime a person attempts to change ownership of the Hyde, they lose significant amount of control over the Hyde? Wednesday didn't know that, and it just made things fun. All this time, she thought she knew everything. I had to pretend that I was following her orders so she wouldn't suspect anything. It was torture Rose." His voice dropped and I saw a little glimmer of warmth return in his eyes.

"It was torture." He continued. "Why should she choose the people I have to kill? Why can't I have some fun deciding who gets to die?" And gone was the faint hope I had.

"But it was fun while it lasted with her. While Laurel was playing in the big leagues, Wednesday was just concerned about her stupid little revenge."

"Tyler, please let me go. I see that you have no use in any more people dying now that you are free from being under anyone's control. I need to go to Nevermore. Please Tyler."

"Rose, Rose, Rose, so pretty, so intelligent. What's the hurry? I thought we were connecting here, getting all emotional, sharing stuff. Laurel was the one who told me about my mom, how people made her to be a monster. What was Nevermore doing then? I had always carried this with me and she freed me of this. At first, I was a little hesitant and out of control when I killed people but now, I just enjoy it. So no Rose, I am not going to let you go. I know the pleasure it gives, so why would I deny others a chance at destruction?"

Even though slapping him at this moment would literally kill me, I would have gladly gone to heaven knowing I slapped his ass back to decency - ville.

"Tyler, you are free now. No one can hold you accountable for anything you did. You are free. Don't you understand? Instead of screwing this up, getting into a bigger mess, you could get on the right side. Help us, help Nevermore."

"Where's the fun in that? The Hyde in me would never agree to something so boring."

I was getting mad but had to maintain composure. I had to get out of here.

"Tyler, when all of this is over, you will need someone to stand up for you, be on your side, I will. But you need to let me go, Tyler, please!"

"Or we could skip town. It would be nice having you by my side Rose. I feel like we could be something."

If Tyler wanted, he could convince you that poison is the elixir that will revive you.

But at this point, it seemed like we were just playing games with each other.

There was a clattering of an object and Tyler turned to check the source. I took this as my only chance at surviving. Taking the nightshade vial I had a very desperate hold on, the one I knew would save me someday, I stabbed him in the neck.

His eyes only held a look of madness which said This isn't over which scared me.