XXVI. Raven Dance

❧

As soon as I told Enid that I was supposed to be attending the Raven dance, she had insisted on taking me shopping. Unlike Wednesday, who acted like an innocent person being taken to the guillotine when she had to shop, Enid and I got along quite well on our shopping spree.

We went to the superstore as well, to get a few ingredients for red velvet cupcakes. I decided that I would surprise Enid with them soon as a thank you for taking me shopping. 

The dress code for the dance was supposed to be white and we did try on a lot of options but Enid was convinced that there was something better for me. We even stopped at Weathervane for hot chocolate. Unfortunately, Tyler wasn't there and another barista that I hadn't seen before was filling in for him that day. It didn't sit well with me since I had been hoping to meet him and talk. I just sent him a carefully worded text saying that we should talk. 

As I was getting ready in my room in front of the mirror for the dance the next day, I couldn't help but feel hurt at the thought of Wednesday with Tyler. Feelings of jealousy had made their home in a corner of my heart. However, I brushed all my thoughts aside and decided to shift my focus on admiring the gorgeous dress.

While it was simple enough on the front, it was backless and overall an elegant beauty. Besides, Enid was convinced that the color and dress screamed me and I couldn't disagree.

Since dad was chaperoning at the dance along with Thornhill, I had decided to just go with him to the school

Lucas and Emma, the sweetest people ever, stared at me in awe as I went down the stairs and started cheering for me. I didn't dwell on the last time a similar scenario had unfolded and I had a date with a certain hazel eyed boy. I willed myself to not think about him. It wasn't like I could avoid him at the dance and was bound to run into him and Wednesday together, but I was going to just try not giving him much thought till that happened.

After we dropped the twins off at Sophie's for a while, we made our way to the school.

It was beautifully decorated, a blinding vision of white, ice sculptures adorning the venue. There was a giant one of a yeti alongside the dance floor. The theme: Climate crisis meets extinction event.

I saw Enid and waved to her, expecting to see Ajax with her, but instead I saw Lucas Walker, the Mayor's son. I bumped into Xavier on my way to her.

"We have got to stop meeting like this. You look beautiful, Rose."

"Thanks Xavier! You clean up pretty well yourself."

" I know! No need to fawn over my looks and charm."

"And there's the modesty, part of the charm I assume."

He was about to answer when I saw Tyler and Wednesday enter.

They were looking like black and white personified.

They made their way towards us and Tyler eyed me up and down. I raised an eyebrow in response.

"I can't believe you Wednesday", Xavier said in an accusatory tone to Wednesday and went off to get drinks.

I found Xavier on the balcony.

"Rose, I feel so stupid for having feelings for Wednesday. I have been hurt by every person I have ever liked. I wish I could just go to Bianca and ask her to use her siren powers on me so I forget about Wednesday. What about you, didn't you and Tyler have some sort of thing going on?"

I felt stumped at his question. Staring into the night, I just muttered, "It's complicated Xavier." I forgot, in that moment, that the person standing next to me might be a monster. At that time, we were just two people standing on the balcony, sharing our hurt.