XLVI. To land in trouble is what thou protagonist does best

❧

It wasn't meant to be this way. Wednesday and I were probably going to go about it in a much more rational way, but certain circumstances had ensured that we take action - simple in plan, irrational and insane in it's execution.

What prompted us was me hearing the news of Dr. Kinbott being attacked severely and landing up in the hospital. If Xavier had attacked his master, the one who was supposed to be in control of things, then there was practically nothing that could stop him from wrecking havoc on the entire town - Wednesday summarized this succinctly as per what Uncle Fester had told her.

I was dying to meet the guy. I had imagined myself having conversations about mom with him. But she informed me that he was on run from the law and was going to stay low for a while. Given her family history, it made perfect sense.

So, we planned to do an easy peasy lemon squeezy reasonable thing - we were just going to frame Xavier.

Easy, no mess, easy, no mess, unethical, messy, unethical, messy.

I had enlisted the help of Wednesday to get somethings we could use to frame Xavier since I was still on house arrest. I had decided to come clean about everything to Dad after executing this one last plan.

Wednesday had asked me to not question anything she did in order to frame Xavier, while the anything part bothered me, I figured this was going to be a my way or the highway situation and I couldn't afford to be picky.

I had just been sent a message through Thing that I should come to the art shed. I had already told dad that I was going to be out for tutoring so I was just spending time with Tyler at Weathervane when I received Thing's message.

I made my way towards Xavier's art shed. I had been there some times and this was going to be my least favorite. I found Wednesday, pensive as ever, standing outside the shed.

"So what all did you manage to find?"

"You don't need to worry about that. No questions, remember? Let's go."

Taking a deep breath and trusting Wednesday, I followed her.

"Xavier!"

"Wednesday and Rose, come to accuse me of something? Or have you just come around from accusing yet another person who tried to be your friend?"

"Drop the act Xavier. You killed your master and you are out of control." Xavier's face displayed absolute confusion.

"Clearly, you need to be in jail. And what is this, Rowan's spectacles, Dr. Kinbott's diary", Wednesday matched her words to actions and started dropping a bunch of items. We could hear a squad car pull up and Sheriff Galpin had showed up.

"Xavier Thorpe, you are under arrest."

I was feeling extremely light and heavy at the same moment if that was possible. The look in Xavier's eyes was one that was going to stay with me forever. He looked defeated. Or maybe, a psychopathic monster projected the sad puppy eyes as a defense mechanism. At the same time, I felt glad about life going back to a semblance of normal.

I had already started making plans in my head - how I would try to get Uncle Fester and Dad together, they would resolve all their differences, the twins and I would get to hear super cool stuff about mom and life would sure be better without the threat of a maniac trying to murder the town.

I was whistling a merry tune as I opened the door. Dad was sitting with his laptop open in the living room. I was in such a merry and relaxed mood that I started rambling.

"Dad, guess what. It's all over, things can go back to normal now. You don't have to worry about me doing bad at school. The Hyde's been caught. Wednesday has been a huge help actually and" I said this with extra excitement "Uncle Fester kind of helped, sure, he was in the background and I expect that we will get to meet him soon and you guys can then talk stuff out-"

I stopped mid - ramble when I saw Dad as he looked at me. His eyes were red like he had been crying.

"Meet him soon? Rose, I thought things over the night I told you about your mom. I thought of getting in touch with him. It was difficult getting in touch with him - it's always been. I finally managed to get hold of an address and I sent a letter in hopes of mending things with him. He died Rose, he died in a freak accident, Fester's gone."

I was plunged into immediate grief, the pain of seeing my dad crumble in the presence of pain like this was disheartening. I went to sit beside him on the sofa, all the while my mind worked in a manic rage.

Wednesday Addams had lied to me. While she would hide the truth several times, choosing to omit it, I had never known her to lie and to lie about something like this was not okay.

I sent Enid a quick text - Something's up. Wednesday lied about a relative of hers, will talk to her. Xavier might not be the Hyde. Last time, please stay alert, might need help.

I had no hopes that Enid would reply to my text with any affirmative but I was also sure that if I were in danger, she would come to help.