XXXI. Fire will rain

❧

While Wednesday and I had gone to Weems' office to confront her, in a matter of minutes the environment had turned so that it was like we were going to face our doom.

Weems had argued back and forth with Wednesday that it was going to help no one if she went to the sheriff to disclose this information, citing that the school was the number one priority for her and she would never do anything that endangers any of her students.

It was in the midst of this conversation that there was a commotion, accompanied by terrified shrieking and gasps. We rushed to the window to see the grass lit, spelling out Fire will rain.

Quite dramatic if you ask me

Would you rather sucker punch someone or tell them you are going to punch them and then try doing that? Totally unnecessary with the warning.

Sarcasm and humor had become coping mechanisms at this point in my life and I wasn't going to apologize.

Of course, I dismissed it right now, but I would be obsessing over it in the confines of my room later.

Later that evening

"Are you sure she won't just murder and leave us for dead while we are there?"

"That's a bit too stagey for her. She's the kind to murder people out in the rain with icicles so it would leave no proof. So no Enid, I am pretty sure tricking her to come to her own surprise birthday celebration wouldn't end up in us being murdered."

Enid just looked at me with a horrified look in her eyes.

I was sitting on Enid's bed in her dorm and we were discussing Wednesday's birthday. We had no idea but Thing had informed us. Such a sweet .. uh .. hand.

Over time, with Enid's dedicated care and mani - pedi sessions with Thing, they had grown close

Over time, with Enid's dedicated care and mani - pedi sessions with Thing, they had grown close. Enid would sometimes start sleep talking, mostly about her fears and worries and Thing would just, in gentle motions, smooth her hair until she calmed down. It was quite endearing, the way they looked out for each other.

Thing had told us that Wednesday had gone to Crackstone's crypt for some sleuthing. While I did felt hurt, I had decided that it's better that we conduct our separate investigations and just share anything we feel is important enough.

"Okay Rose, so I have asked Thing to slide over the note under the door of the crypt."

"She wouldn't be able to resist the temptation of solving a good mystery so that ensures that she will be present. Great thinking, Enid."

I went on make calls to people for her birthday celebration. She always looked so guarded, so prepared. Just once, it would feel good to surprise her and have the upper hand.