EIGHTEEN, the promise

Start from the beginning

she said she wanted to watch it but didn't know if i would get upset seeing both hyunjin and jaemin on the television.

i told her i wouldn't mind and hours later, we sit here. i still don't mind but i would rather not see him, live, in the flesh and happy like nothing has happened.

like it hasn't affected him.

hyunjin and a female idol walk out, they're the announcers for the best new group.

penny's head snaps towards me. "this is one of the craziest crossover events i have ever watched in my entire life. if jaemin's group wins then the two of them will be on the stage together" penny stops talking when i look over at her.

"sorry" she says and i just shake my head, bringing my eyes back to the television.

"throughout the year, we were introduced to many new groups that took our industry by surprise" the female idol starts out.

"through their debuts and many performances they have shown great strengths thus landing themselves in this category" hyunjin says.

the names of the new groups flash across the screen, along with short clips of their debuts. jaemin's group. two girl groups and two more boy groups.

they all look so happy. at the end of the montage, it shows all 5 of the groups, sitting at their respective seats.

a white haired jaemin smiles brightly as one of his members whispers in his ear. he lets out a laugh and a shake of his head. he's happy, really happy.

time stops for a second before hyunjin speaks again.

"this years winner is," he sighs when he looks at the card in front of him. he says the name of jaemin's group and the crowd goes crazy.

jaemin and his group jump up. they hug each other before regaining their composure and beginning their walks to the stage.

they get their award and i watch as hyunjin bows to every single one before jaemin. when it comes to him, hyunjin turns the other way as jaemin is mid bow.

jaemin stands up straight and looks at hyunjin, his smile wavering for a second.

hyunjin goes back to the side of the female idol, whispering in her ear. her eyes go wide for a second before she turns to whisper back to him.

god i wish i could hear what they are talking about. i would pay ungodly amounts of money in order to hear their conversation right now.

penny hasn't looked at me, only slightly side-eyes me to see my reaction. i haven't had one. i've stayed straight-faced this entire time, just staring at the screen and pretending like nothing is happening in front of us.

like the two men that have altered my life the most aren't having an incredibly awkward interaction.

the members of jaemin's group all say something short and sweet until jaemin is the last member to speak.

he says something quickly and thanks all of their fans until the microphone is handed back to hyunjin and the female idol.

"what an amazing group! they really know how to perform and ruin lives and break the hearts of the best girls in the world" hyunjin goes off of the script. i'm guessing because the female idol turns her head to look at him quickly.