The Storm ∆

"Sing! Sing, my princess!"

I breathe in. "When I look out into the ocean~" I open my mouth wide open into an O and project my voice. The syllables dance on the tip of my tongue and I hope that I am producing the effect of yearning accurately enough.

Two claps. "Marvelous! Draw it out further. Feel what the words mean. Picture it."

"I know," I mumble, shooting an irritated eye at Auntie. Then, with a long deep inhale, I belt out the same words— "When I look out into the ocean~"

"Yes, next!" She claps in rhythm.

"I see my lover call me!"

She hums along with me, now.

"And when I draw near, I see the sirens. I see them frolicking. Oh how lovely, lovely they play! The sirens that call us home~"

A final clap. "Well done! Your voice has clearly developed incredibly. Breathtakingl"

"You praise me too much, Auntie."

"Entitled to give the praise where it's due, sweetheart. If I knew Katherine had such a talented child before, I would have come in sooner. I'm sure I can get someone to catch you a deal somewhere soon."

"In like some church?"

"Why a church, sweetie? That's not very ambitious of you."

"I don't know. I never really thought much about it. I yell and shout so much, Mommy always complained I'd ruin my voice, that it's "unbecoming of it's sweet and melodious nature.""

Another clap. "Oh, that's a valid concern, alright. You don't want to put too much strain on it. Out with the boisterous attitude already. You need to become a gentle and lovely young lady."

I sigh. "You old people always like to push your preferences onto us young'uns."

She clicks her tongue. "Young ones. Always use clear pronunciation. You come from a well upheld household. Do well to keep—"

"Come on now, hag. Get going already, you're ruining my mood," I raise an annoyed voice. Just as I had hoped, it ticks her off as she storms out of the room. I let out a breath of relief. Seriously, why should they always boss  me around? I'm old enough! When Charlie was fourteen, he was already investing in stocks. Why can't they imbibe me with the same level of trust? They keep on calling me brash and rowdy. To hell with that!

Mommy starts calling me with that tone of hers that blares with "danger" from upstairs. It's my cue to make a run for it and slip out of the backdoor.

I sweep past the backyard before I get the gate to fly open and I sprint out into the neighborhood. I flash a smirk. They can't catch me!

As I run down the road, the thought of what my destination should be naturally enters my mind. I hum only a moment. Think I'd go to to Allison's.

I do double cartwheels on the soft grass in Mr Harrison's courtyard as I yip along my way. If Mommy didn't subject me to so much misery, I wouldn't cause her much of the same either. The feeling's mutual. But, I think I'd get her some veggies on my way back. That ought to put her back to normal. I don't want her to lock me in my room again. It's really inconvenient to make a break through a window on the second floor. How many times have I done it now, hm? Ten times? Twelve? Why does she think she can keep me locked in anyway?

The skies roar. I look up above. It's getting dark. I giant grin appears on my face. Here come the rains!

____________