Chapter 7∆

Footsteps echo in the wide space of the hallway. And it's quite the reverb, that indicates just how expansive this place really is. But contrary to that sound, where they originate from, it's a totally different story altogether. Paul and Vessel, both of them follow quietly behind me. Well Vessel doesn't have feet, but he's the same quiet as Paul. It somehow makes the space feel eerie. I look up, the ceiling so high, as if it is I who's been shrunk.

"Come on, now," I say with a level voice, drowning my anxiety. "I didn't give you a punishment you know. You can still talk."

"I'm contemplating on my actions and why it elicited an outburst of enrage from you," Vessel says. "I do identify what my mistake is. But I am trying to understand you better, if you know what I mean." It's as if he's calculated every word he said just now. That's how careful he's being. It's almost ridiculous to think about how seriously he took me. The scolding and shouting worked wonders. I try my best not to snicker.

"It's fine," I say, "I get it. It won't happen in the span of hours. It'd take time. I'd have to just bear with it for the moment."

...

Again.

"Paul. You're gonna say anything?"

He groans in a low baritone. "This entire dynamic is weirding me out. I'd be frank. What is this relationship you two have? And how come you have a giant alien accompanying you as well? It's just not normal."

"Oh. So you saw Uranus I take it?"

"Saw? That thing was a giant walking among us. Of course I happened to notice!"

I pull my lips taught into a wry smile. "Hmm," I respond, simply. He raised a good point though. I ruminate on what he just said. That was when I last saw Uranus off.... I frown. I can't quite figure it out but, there's just something poking at my mind. Something feels amiss. "This is strange. You never saw Uranus, did you Vessel?" There it strikes me. "How come you spoke about him to me even before I talked about him to you? You mentioned him as my companion. But you never saw him." There's a puzzled look all over my face now that I've finally put my finger on the discrepancy.

"Remember I left pieces of myself in your mind? They feed me your memories as well. Micro signals. Everything that I need to know. I have full access to your brain. Fully there to help you be the best you can be!" He makes himself appear so conscientious saying that, despite the root of the matter.

I frown at the thought of it. "It just feels wrong. It's as if you're keeping track of my entire being."

"Precisely," he says, proudly.

"Hey, I didn't mean it as a compliment!"

Paul walks ahead of me now to show where I should move off to next. A door slides open from my side to present a little walkway that leads to a different section out of the building. All this time we've been walking in a curved line. Going around the perimeter of the ground floor of the hive. The structure is quite tall need I comment.  There are many floors above us and there's this curious looking noodle like appendage spiralling around it, like some water slide you'd expect to see in an amusement park. I'd definitely like to ride it if it's something like that. But do they really care about stuff like amusement? Well, if they can prepare lavish baths for us, I don''t see why not!

"Hey Tiana," Paul stops in his tracks.

I halt right behind him. "Yeah? What is it?"

He slowly turns around and meets my eyes, with that same mysterious look from before. "There's something I'd like to show to you. Since you have apparently two assets now. It can prove to be a game changer for me."