2022 - Budget Cuts

The first set to appear from Character Options in 2022 was originally a set for a 2021 release. Rounding off the year planned for December 2021 was a set featuring the 4th Doctor and the K1 Robot. However, distribution problems meant that the set was scheduled only for early 2022. Announced in January, this set was released in stores in February and was widely distributed in stores for fans to collect. This featured the 4th Doctor in a newly updated and improved Season 12 outfit with hat and a serious look to the Doctor (rather than a smiling hatted version of Tom Baker - only) and the Giant Robot with disintegrator gun (2nd - 1st release as a complete figure, previously available as a build-a-wave figure in 2008).

The product code for this set was 374862 and was priced at £19.99. The Merchandise Guide also uses the B&M map to help fans locate and track down this set in their local stores. This Fourth Doctor features a complete revised paint application, with detailing on trousers and different head to that of previous figures in this look. The K1 variant features a brand new thinner left arm sculpt to hold the accessory and new paint finish closer to the original prop than its original release.

An unexpected new Character Online exclusive figure set was released the same month. An upcoming Silurian themed set was leaked online, before it was released that a set based on Warriors Of The Deep featuring three Silurians were to be released exclusively online. Two of the Silurians contained a black third eye (Tarpok and Scibus), whereas the other featured a red third eye (Itchar - only) The set was limited to 5,000 units, but more of them seem to have been released as the figures are still available on the Character Options website to purchase (as of July 2023), meaning that this set was less popular than the previous two online exclusive sets. These Silurians reuse the legs and arm of the Sea Devil action figure, and are the first Classic Silurians to be released in the 5.5 inch range. The cost of making highly detailed new sculptures of difficult figures to make meant that making three Silurians in the set as an army builder, and as these figures would not be released again, would justify the high cost in order to make them.

As fans eagerly waited for the next wave of figures from B&M, a particularly interesting book about Doctor Who action figures was released in April; Doctor Who Magazine Special 60 Action Figures Essential Guide 1963-1996. It features many interesting facts about the Classic Series 5.5 inch range and I fully recommend it for those wanting to learn more about the Classic Series line up of toys. As the price of the 3 pack sets of 2020 and 2021 continue to be reduced in price in B&Ms or on Amazon, other Doctor Who sellers began selling these toys to help reduce the heavy, unwanted line of stock of the 3 packs, which were becoming increasingly unpopular among fans. Character Online and Forbidden Planet issued the 2020 UNIT sets and the "Companions Of The Fourth Doctor" from January for £12.99. By Summer, excess stock of Rose and clean K-9 and the 2020 2nd Doctor and TARDIS were added to Forbidden Planet's range, but these two sets quickly went out of stock.

In April, a leak was made online of the sets upcoming later in the year. B&M were fine that this leak was made;

1st Wave Expected late 2022

8th Doctor 3 Figure Set

10th Doctor 3 Figure Set

Dalek Packs (Presumably History of the Daleks Sets)