Underdog Dare

After seeing off a few people, including grandma herself, I moved back inside my grandparents' house. The old lady warned me to stay safe before finally disappearing to nowhere I could say she and the other people were heading. They all had smiles whilst they said goodbye. There seemed nothing to suspect. Otherwise, why would granny leave me to stay alone for the night in an area haunted by spirits of every kind? Or....were these folks leaving me to a challenge? I wasn't sure about that but if that was their intention, then, I was determined to make them proud. That's if they would acknowledge my sketchy bravery.

I was a coward of my own league. I knew me better and with not much time to waste, I closed the main door immediately. Following that were several security checks that I conducted in the store adjacent to the lobby. The house had four rooms and a bathroom opposite the living room but because paranoia and panic had started rising within my system, I only made sure to close and lock the doors and windows around the backside entryway, the store and my bedroom.

I could feel that a ghost or something of the kind was on its way to harass my evening. I peeped through the small rectangular space above the store window just to be sure. The sun had just set and the outside was still visible. The sky was turning pale grey with a few dull huge clouds. If possible, I could still spend half an hour outside before the darkness could fully take over. No. Wasn't I supposed to grab something for my supper? No.

All my focus was on making sure no intruder whatsoever could succeed in whatever their motive. My soul sensed an opponent that my eyes couldn't make out–the agent of the devil that I was anticipating. Swiftly, I came down from my spying spot, my mind and soul agreeing that it would be better I found a way of blocking the space above the window as well, regardless that it was sealed with transparent glass. Questionable but that's what I was seeing, unless my thoughts promptly put the material in the space. The fear that whirled within me could make everything possible just to keep the enemy from entering this house. I didn't even think of checking my grandparent's bedroom, the sitting room and the bathroom. All my intelligence was deployed to protect the store, corridor and my bedroom. I was concretely sure those were the avenues the spirit would use to come for me.

Time was running out. Every second passing, my soul could sense more and more the presence of whoever Satan had sent this time around. I don't know how the similarly complicated core component did that and I wasn't going to find out any soon since my eyes were already in a panicky search for something to cover the space. The quickly expanding phobia courtesy of the non-physical being in my chest couldn't let me find an important blocker.

I stepped out of the store with speed, closing and locking its door so hard that the apparition itself could halt its invasion in fear or caution. Whatever emotion it chose for the pause. I nearly cursed for the fact that the glass-sealed rectangular space above the window was still transparent and thus it could be used by the nightmarious visitor to discern my location. In addition to the disadvantage, glass was almost nothing when it came to security. Ghosts could penetrate solid walls. What was breakable glass to them?

I even didn't chance a look at the door I'd closed and locked first in this dramatic scene I'd commenced. The crisis was getting to my throat and the newest and better option was to rush into my room and cover my damn head that was of minute help at the moment. Once I made it to my bedroom, the centre of my protection from the incoming according to my strategy, my attention shot up to check for any loopholes. I hadn't given up on the checks. I was determined to keep myself safe. My grandmother had told me to watch out and I was good at following instructions from the top ever since my childhood. That characteristic had subsided after high school but that wasn't the case at the moment. It's like I could never get over me being a fraidy cat. That part of my life was literally congenital and I would only think about it as an undesirable trait once I felt safe.