chapter seven: got me bad bad bad

WITH INTENSE ANTICIPATION HANGING IN THE AIR, Elle's voice resonates through the rehearsal space, sending shivers down Niki's spine as he lies defeated on the floor. Beads of sweat cascade down his face, his breath ragged, while Elle radiates a contagious excitement that shields her from exhaustion. Though Niki groans in protest, Elle can't contain her enthusiasm to continue.

"Elle, our dance is perfection personified. Please, set me free," Niki pleads dramatically, his eyes pleading for release. Rolling her eyes, Elle reluctantly agrees to end the rehearsal, prompting Niki to spring to his feet, enveloping her in a tight embrace. Unexpectedly, he presses a tender kiss on her cheek, catching her off guard. Her face flushes with a mix of surprise and embarrassment, which she desperately tries to conceal.

Throughout the past week of intense practice with Niki, Elle has taken in intriguing insights into his character. She discovered he is far from a morning, afternoon, or night person when it comes to rehearsals. Understanding his natural talent, she realizes he effortlessly absorbs every step with a single glance, executing them flawlessly. Another revelation is his shared passion for coffee, rivaling her own love for the brew. His thoughtful gesture of bringing her a cup each time he indulges leaves her fueled with caffeine, resulting in an abundance of energy. Niki, on the other hand, has developed immunity to the effects of caffeine, explaining his inability to keep up with Elle's boundless enthusiasm.

Yet, the most challenging aspect for Elle to acclimate herself to is Niki's unabashed affection toward those he feels comfortable with. She can hardly believe how quickly he became at ease with her. While she occasionally feels embarrassed by his public displays of affection, there's an undeniable thrill that lingers behind, purely platonic in her perspective. Viewing him as a younger brother, a mere three years her junior, she relishes the sensations evoked by their connection.

As Niki hastily departs, bidding her farewell without giving her a chance to respond, Elle decides to extend her stay. Despite achieving near-perfection in their dance routine, she yearns to push her limits, striving for an even better performance. The choreography captivates her, making endless repetitions seem effortless.

In the background, the sultry melody of "Bite Me" by ENHYPEN permeates the room as Elle positions herself. When the moment arrives for the partner dance steps, she vows to execute every move as she practiced with Niki. He had infused his unique touch into the routine, and she endeavors to fulfill his vision. As Heeseung's voice envelops the space, her mind clears, leaving room for the sheer sensuality and romanticism he exudes. Closing her eyes, Elle immerses herself in the captivating allure of his voice, feeling it resonate throughout her entire being. With every step, she envisions herself entwined with Heeseung, trembling at the imaginary touch of his hands and the security of his embrace.

Abruptly, her fantasy shatters as the sound of the door opening interrupts her daydream. Her eyes snap open, widening in surprise as she beholds Heeseung standing at the entrance. A smile graces his face, unbeknownst to him. Reacting swiftly, Elle rushes to the speaker, pausing the song mid-flow. Heeseung, nonchalant, brushes off the interruption. "Don't mind me," he quips.

"Hee, what brings you here?" Elle inquires, a hint of curiosity and confusion lacing her voice.

"I had the same idea as you. I wanted to practice a bit more," Heeseung responds.

"Right. Well, I've practiced enough. I can leave if you want," Elle replies, her hands fidgeting behind her back as she suddenly becomes captivated by the tip of her shoes.

Heeseung remains silent, causing unease to bubble within her with each passing moment. Unbeknownst to Elle, he hesitates, engrossed in his phone's screen. He had contemplated inviting his dance partner, Mi-sun, to join this spontaneous rehearsal, his thumb hovering over the "send" button. However, something holds him back as he gazes at Elle once more, prompting him to pocket his phone. Just before he can utter a word, she impatiently interjects, "I'll just go."