"We must buy them, then. And while we get ready for the banquet, you can borrow a few of my accessories." Even though I only purchased those two items, I could not help but feel a wave of guilt, as I watched Marie purchase things for herself.

--

My husband stared at me in awe when I walked into the grand dining room that night after getting ready. In front of him, I wore the elegant ballgown, with a petticoat and corset underneath to make my slight baby bump less visible, however not too tight. On the bodice, there were ribbons going down to the skirt, and there were ruffles at the end of the sleeves. The shoes were invisible, however they felt comfortable on my feet. For the accessories, I wore a shiny, silver diamond necklace, a pink feather enveloped in my white powdered wig, and held a white fan with pink flowers for the art. As I said, the bodice was a little lower, showing more cleavage than I am used to and thus looking even more appealing to Gilbert's eyes. I smiled at him, satisfied with my new look. Anastasie was being watched by my grandmother, because we knew the banquet would go late into the night.

"You look stunning", he whispered while wrapping his arms around my waist, pressing a soft kiss onto my neck. I felt my cheeks grow warm, glad that he found me beautiful, even with my stomach starting to grow bloated in the beginning of pregnancy. "Thank you, my dear... though, I wish I got... a more... modest dress", I laughed softly.
"I'm not complaining", he smirked playfully, his eyes lingering on my body, causing my cheeks to grow warmer.

"I know, my dear, but I mean... the other men around here tonight."

"Oh, they're busy looking at how beautiful their wives are tonight." I highly doubted that, since it was common for men to have mistresses, especially in France, but I chose not to think of that anymore. Gilbert pulled away from our embrace, while Louise and Louis walked up to us, Louis' arm wrapped around my sister.

Louise wore a beautiful light green ballgown, with lace capturing her around the bodice, showing a little less skin than me. "Oh, Adrienne, you look simply divine." I smiled at my older sister, "Thank you, I must say, you look quite immaculate, as well."

"Adrienne, I congratulate you on your third pregnancy. How motherhood becomes of you", Louis complemented. "Thank you, Louis. We should just hope all goes well."

"I will keep you in my prayers."

I sat next to my husband, his hand finding it's home on my thigh, and I held it underneath the table. Louise sat next to me and her husband, and it was time to eat. Food covered the entire, long table, much more than what someone in the Third Estate would eat in a month. I ate some steak and mashed potatoes, which luckily did not make me nauseous, while I listened to the gossip around the table, whether I liked it or not.

In Versailles, people would speak about others, even if they were in the same room. Sadly, I came across gossip about me before, although, Gilbert told me to not let it bother me. I sighed, chewing on some of my bread, overhearing the dialogue whispered throughout the room.

"Did you hear? She died giving birth to her second son. What a pity."

"I heard Marie Antoinette just might fancy Axel von Ferson a little."

"They say he fancies both women and men."

Gilbert kissed my cheek, causing me to blush a little, and I was almost finished with my meal. I could not finish all of it, the pregnancy was taking a toll on my appetite. I snuggled into Gilberts shoulder, tired of all the activities I did with Marie Antoinette all day. He gently placed his hand on my growing belly, his fingers caressing the soft curve, and I gazed at him in awe.

"Madame de Lafayette still hasn't gotten over her daughter's death, apparently. Isn't that tragic?"

My smile took a pause. I would normally simply ignore the gossip about me, however I looked down at my lap, while the words stung my heart.

"Yes, I have heard about that, the poor woman needs to move on."

"Excuse me", I muttered, getting up and pushing my chair back in, quickly walking out into the hallway before tears had overcome me. Sinking onto the ground, I buried my face in my knees, while the banquet still continued to erupt in chatter. I heard some footsteps, which I recognized all too well. "Gilbert... just leave me alone..."

Realizing he wanted to comfort me, and thus would not go away, I sighed while he wrapped his arms around me, giving in and resting my head on his chest. "Adrienne, you know I cannot just let you cry like this", he whispered in my ear, cuddling me close. "That person has no idea what they are talking about, and clearly has not experienced the death of somebody close to them." I sniffled, while he gently rocked me. "It is okay to not be okay, my Dear Heart."

"What if... what if it truly takes years, Gilbert? Won't you get fed up?" He cupped my cheeks, giving me a gentle kiss on the forehead. "Never, my angel." I smiled softly, while he played with a loose strand of my golden hair. I heard another set of footsteps, this time it was Louise.

"Her Majesty says she apologizes on that person's behalf, but is simply too busy to leave the room." She kneeled down, "are you alright?"

"Better than I was a few minutes ago", I whispered, smiling a little, while Gilbert continued to gently rock me. Louise smiled, "I'm glad. It is almost time for dessert, if you are interested." I grinned, getting up, with Gilbert's hand enveloped in mine.

--

That night, I shut the bedroom door behind me, tiredly kicking off my shoes. Gilbert rose my new dress over my head, taking off my petticoat and corset, leaving me only to be in my underdress. He smiled, laying me down on the bed, throwing his coat across the room, leaving him only in his linen shirt and breeches.

Gently straddling me, he kissed my neck, causing my cheeks to grow warm and my heart to be filled with lust. "Are you helping me into my nightgown, or are you solely focused on undressing me?", I teased, causing him to raise his head and blush softly. "If- which one do you want?", he muttered. I laughed softly, "The second option." I saw him grin, pulling my underdress over my head.

"You looked so beautiful and ravishing in that dress, you're lovely, my darling wife", he smiled, gazing at my bare body. I blushed, "Marie told me you would like me in that dress", I whispered, him giving a soft kiss to my nose. "She was right, you are eye candy, the lowering on the bodice surprised me." I gently laughed, cupping his cheek for a moment, before letting go.

His lips found their desired location of my breasts, and I ran my fingers through his hair, "Is this what you wanted, my dear?", I asked him, while his hand continued to fondle, and I looked at the ceiling. He smirked against my skin, "Very much."

He raised his head, gazing into my eyes. "Is this what you want, my dear?", he asked me, wishing to confirm.

"I am yours, have me."