2

I'm cornered. The elevator walls are too tight, and the floor and ceiling too close. Not enough space between me and him.

Last we spoke, I could barley get a word out. And now we're standing awkwardly in an elevator. Do I say anything? I don't ponder for long.

"Did that knocking stop?"

I look at him, not turning, my hands clasped in-front of me tightly.  "Mhm."

"Good."

"And you're sure you don't know what is was?"

"Not a clue." He says.

"Hm."

He looks down at me. And stares. I avert my eyes, finding my feet. I feel like a schoolgirl with a crush.

"Raya, right?" Why does my name sound so... belittling coming from his mouth.

"Mhm." I say still not looking up.

"I'm Knox Griffin." Douchbag. Who the hell introduces themselves with both names.

"Yeah, I heard from your girlfriend."

"She's not." He says sternly. Looking back away toward the doors.

I look at him again. "Not my business." I shrug.

His head moves to stare again. Then, his eyes squint a little, and he smiles. Almost.

I open my mouth to ask what his problem is when the elevator dings, and he walks out without saying another word.

Now back at home, I decide to start painting the cabinets. It's only 9am, so I should be able to finish everything today. First I take all the doors off the hinges, then take off all the handles. I start painting at around 10am, and when I'm done it's 12. I open up all the windows to let out the fumes. I play music while I do this, 80s, and then sit down at my laptop. I need to get at least a chapter done today, otherwise my publisher will be pissed.

I look at the clock, and realize it's already 3 now. Shit. I hurry over to put all the handles back on, then start screwing them all in. 

My overalls are covered in paint somehow, but luckily the sports bra is fine. The drill vibrates as I put each cabinet back in carefully.

Im almost finished when my door pounds and I jump, tearing my headphones off. I check the time: 4:05pm. Fucking hell.

"Yes," I say with a sigh, as the door is swinging open.

Knox stands smugly, leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed.

"It's 4:05 darling." I blink, frozen. He's so fucking hot... Then I snap back into it. Thinking about the rudeness he's shown me so far.

"Now you know how it feels." I say smoothly.

He eyes me up and down. Stares at the sports bra barely covered by my overalls. My heart starts to pound.

"I have two more cabinets to do."

"And I have work to do."

I grit my teeth. "It'll take two minutes."

"Alright. Go on then."

I go to slam the door but his arm catches it.

He stares me in the eyes. "Go."

I take a breath at the order. "Fuck. Off." Wow great way to start a relationship with your neighbour. And the guy you're crushing on. Sort of.

"Either I'll stay and watch the 'two minutes' or you're done for the night."

I huff. "Fine."

I walk over, picking the drill back up and bring over one of the last cabinet doors. I hear the door shut, and turn to see him walking over, leaning against the island across from me. I turn back around, quickly screwing it in. I stand up to grab the other one, and turn around nearly bumping into him, as he places a hand on either side of me.

I look up, heart pounding, holding the drill close to my chest. "What," I say voice shaking a little but still full of attitude. I forgot what it's like to have a crush. Being so nervous.

"It was you wasn't it?"

My ears feel hot, and my legs feel weak. I swallow, "what are you talking about?"

His eyes narrow. "The other night. There was a little stalker in our hall. It wasn't you I saw peeking round the corner like a little creep?"

I shake my head my face going so hot and red I swear it'd burn to the touch, "no.." I try to move out of the way, but his hand grabs my hip and I suck in a shaky breath as he pulls me back over. I look up at him wide eyed. Then down at his lips inches from mine.

"Don't I make you nervous?" His hand tightens on my hip, his black hair falling a little around his face as he leans down closer to me, his face inches from my ear. "After seeing the way I treated her?"

"You're a stranger in my house holding me against the counter." I say, looking down. "I think that's the bigger issue here."

He steps back, smirking. "Right. Are you finishing this or what?"

I huff, and grab the next cabinet, mocking him under my breath as I turn away from him. But before I can say anything more I hear him walking away and slamming the door shut behind him.