𝐱𝐯. family trees !

Start from the beginning

Lucien shook his head, his scar stark in the bright sun, and stalked toward Tamlin, despite the High Lord's warning growl. "You're not even going to give her a few more days? Just a fewbefore you send her back to that human cesspit?" Lucien demanded.

"This isn't up for debate," Tamlin snapped, pointing at the house. "I'll see you at lunch."

Lucien stared him down for a moment, spat on the ground, and stormed up the stairs. Tamlin didn't reprimand him. Ana watched in amazement. These two immortal friends were fighting because Feyre was going home. She understood, but still, it surprised her. 

Ana remained by the steps as Feyre approached Tamlin.

"Remember what I told you," Tamlin said. Feyre nodded, her eyes scanning his face. Ana, for a moment, felt like she was intruding on a private moment, but she wanted to see Feyre off. To make sure she left Prythian for sure and was safe from Amarantha. "The mortal realm remains safefor you, for your family." 

Feyre nodded. "My paintingsthey're yours," she said, pain in her voice. 

While it didn't seem like much, Ana knew how much Feyre loved her paintings. How much meaning she put into each painting, the love and emotion that was held within each brush stroke. Her giving Tamlin those paintings was like a declaration of her love for him. For this court. For Prythian.

Tamlin lifted her chin with a finger. "I will see you again."

He wouldn't. Not when she got to the court. 

Ana looked away as they kissed, respecting their privacy, and thought of how quiet things would be when Feyre was gone. Ana was still pissed at Tamlin and Lucien, meaning she'd only have Aurelia, Alis, and Rhysand to talk to really. And while she enjoyed their company, she loved having someone so mortal around to connect to. To relate to.

Feyre was crying as she took Tamlin's hand. She got into the carriage and Tamlin smiled. "Ready?"

He shut the door despite her lack of answer. The footman cracked the whip. Ana winced at the sound, her skin stinging with memories. The carriage jolted as the six white horses started into a walk. 

"I love you," Tamlin whispered as he stepped away. 

Feyre said nothing, only turning away as the carriage got further and further from the manor and the land of Prythian. Tamlin stepped back to where Ana stood, his face stoic. 

The blonde sighed. "You're doing the right thing, even if it doesn't feel like it."

Tamlin didn't look at her. "I just hope everyone else in my court feels the same as you."

Silence followed as the two parted, going their separate ways. While Tamlin would most likely rage in the gardens, Ana was off to get answers from the only reliable source she knewthe Suriel.

⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⬩❖⬩ ⎯⎯⎯⎯

The grove of young birch trees looked just as it had the last time Ana had visited it. They towered at the same height, sunlight filtering through their leaves and creating beautiful patterns along the grass. She could faintly hear the stream running in the distance as she placed the cloak in the center of the grove, not even bothering to make a snare. It was dumb to test fate once more, but Ana needed answers from a faerie who had to give them when captured. She couldn't wait for "maybe's" and "possibly's." She needed answers now.

Ana didn't bother hiding this time, instead leaning against one of the trees with a kindjal in hand. She sharpened the metal mindlessly, studying the carvings along the blade that she'd placed herself. The reason she loved her weapons so much was because she had made them herself. A weapon maker from Idris had visited the Brooklyn Institution and helped Ana make the dual kindjals when she was just starting her training. They meant the world to her, and she would give anything if they were taken.