meet the parents

el was nervous for this day. she knew it would come eventually of course but she didn't know if she was ready for it.

when she texted mike to remind him that today was the day, he seemed nonchalant about the topic and just said to text him when she needed him to pick her up. she was shocked at how casual he just blew it off as if it was normal.

if you haven't caught on, today was the day that mike and el promised to meet mike's parents and they made a deal to not back out of the promise because they knew that one person would make a stupid excuse.

on that day, she was fine with meeting mike's parents because the date was still far away. today though, all of that changed when she woke up with the worst luck ever.

el woke up with the most hideous hair and even though she has short hair, sometimes it has its bad days.

so she was going to take a shower and forgot that yesterday, she ran out of shampoo. so she ran to the nearest store with a hat on, of course, and bought shampoo and conditioner just in case.

once she got home, she texted mike that she would probably be a little late because of the trip to the store and he said that he would too because he was freaking out which freaked her out more.

she took a shower, got her lucky outfit, and put on some makeup but not so much that she looked like she was trying hard. after an hour, el realized that she was actually gonna meet the parents and called max while she was hysterical with panic.

max calmed her down enough so that she could redo her mascara and text mike to pick her up since she was ready. mike knocked on the door and el opened it very slowly, rethinking the whole idea of meeting his parents.

mike kissed her cheek and said, "hi baby, you ready?" she nodded and he held her hand, leading her to the car. he opened the passenger seat door for her and she got inside the car, texting max so she doesn't have a panic attack again.

mike noticed the anxious expression on her face as he sat down and asked her if she was okay. "yeah i'm fine, just a little anxious that's all." he frowned, noticing how tense her delicate features were.

"you seem really tense, el. are you sure you still want to meet them? we can go out with the party or watch a movie." he suggested, not wanting her to feel unpleasant while meeting his parents.

"no no, it's really fine. i just freaked out a bit back at home. max calmed me down so i'm okay now. you really don't have to worry about me." el explained, watching his features relax as she squeezed his hand to reassure him.

he sighed and nodded, feeling better that he wasn't the only one worried about el meeting his parents. he could only imagine how difficult this must be for her. "okay then. the drive is like 10 minutes so we won't take long."

maybe before she was just nervous but now she's sure that she's panicking. only 10 minutes? she wanted it to be far away so that she could think about what she was gonna say and what jokes are appropriate. 10 minutes is simply not enough.

even though she was freaking out, there was no way she would miss the chance of listening to taylor swift in the car. she played 'better than revenge' and 'haunted' before they got to the wheeler's house.

she didn't even notice when mike stopped the car until he turned off the car and she noticed the music stop and looked in front of her. all her nerves came right back to her once she noticed. she was so unfamiliar with this feeling and that made her feel even worse.

she made sure to not panic in front of mike because she knew he would feel bad for making her overthink this. once they stopped the car, all hell broke loose for her.