17 ~ PRIORITY (SPG)

Start from the beginning

Yelena shifted on her seat. While Zacariel grabbed his wine glass and took a sip on it.

"Yelena, I want you to know that your supposed wedding this year will be moved."

Her mouth opened a bit. Does it mean that they already agreed with Zacariel's proposal?

She tried hard not to look with the man beside her because she needs to focus with her grandfather. Knowing the old man, he's very good in reading people. Kaunting sulyap niya lang sa lalaki sa tabi niya, mahahalata agad ng lolo niya 'yon.

"I'm g-glad to know that, lo. May I know the reason why?"

Her mother gave her a sharp glance. Para bang sinasabi nito sa kanya na hindi na kailangan magtanong pa. But it's her rights. Aside from that, she needs to be curious about the decisions because it would be weird if she didn't ask for the reason?

Sumulyap ang lolo niya kay Zacariel. Kaya naman gano'n din ang ginawa niya sa nagtatanong na mga mata.

"I'll tell you later." He muttered formally.

Sinupil niya ang ngiti sa labi. She grabbed her glass and drink the rest of the wine until it's empty.

Her heart is booming inside her chest. Animo masayang nagdidiwang ang bawat pintig. It felt like she won a lottery jackpot but she needs to stay calm because she doesn't want people to know that.

Kahit ang mommy niya ay hindi na nagsalita pa pero alam niyang tatanungin nito ang daddy niya tungkol sa napag-usapan sa library room.

They stayed another hour for a chit-chats and some light drinks before they decided to go back to Hacienda Guerrera.

"I have contacts with Doña Zarita. I'd like to visit in hacienda soon. It's been a long while." Her mother said to Zacariel.

"Mamá would like that, Tita."

"Inaasahan ko na babalik ka rito, hijo," ang lolo niya na halatang panig talaga kay Zacariel.

"Makakaasa ka, Senyor." Then they shook hands firmly.

Nasa loob na sila ng sasakyan nang kumaway siya sa magulang. Hinatid sila ng mga ng tingin hanggang sa makalabas sila sa drive way. That's when she started asking questions.

"Did they accept your proposal? What did lolo told you? How about my dad? Were they curious? What did you tell them? How did you--uh!" she grunted when Zacariel laughed shortly.

Humalukipkip siya kaya hindi ito nagtagumpay na hawakan ang kamay niya.

"Pumayag sila na tayo ang magpapakasal."

Hearing that words made her heart happy because she finally able to escaped from marrying the guy that she didn't even know. Pakiramdam niya ay gumaan ang buhay niya dahil wala ng mabigat na nakapatong sa balikat niya. Ang kalayaan na mabuhay sa paraan na gusto niya ay nakuha niya na at walang katumbas ang saya na hatid niyon.

"Nagkaroon lang ng ilang kasunduan. But it doesn't really matter now. I can handle that."

She couldn't really speak because she's so overwhelmed and emotional. The sides of her eyes watered shamelessly. The feeling of being free is very important to her.

"Thank you," she emotionally said and embraced him.

He slowed down and eventually found a space at the side of the road to stop the SUV.

Her tears rolled down her cheeks. Even though she's crying, she's really happy deep inside.

"I am not sure if you're ready to a m-marriage life or you're just doing this because y-you pity me. But I am so happy right now, Zacariel. I don't r-really know what else to do to thank you. T-this is very important to me. You just lifted the burden that jailed me to be free."