The Hatred for Bounty Hunters and Mountain Bandits Runs in The Family

Start from the beginning

Shanks tried to reason, even telling his men that they shouldn't fill Luffy's head with a sanitized version of what a Pirate's life was like. It elicited a sigh from him when he knew that most of his crew was completely on board with taking Luffy along for the ride.

"Yeah, let him come along! It's really not a big deal."

"Well," Shanks began, "Then, next time one of you gets off the ship, let him take your place."

They all went back to their food. "We've said enough!! Let's drink!!"

"WHAT KIND OF FRIENDS ARE YOU???"

Shanks twirled around his spoon as he leaned onto the bar counter. "Look, Luffy– what's important is that you're too young. Aren't you seven?"

"Darn it, Shanks!! I'm not a kid anymore! I'm a man!"

He set down a glass of juice, all casual. "Hey, don't be mad. Here, have this."

Luffy's eyes brightened as he took the juice. "Okay!"

Shanks started cackling again, tears coming to the corners of his eyes as Luffy puffed up in anger. His laughter only grew louder when the young boy gave him the most confused look he had ever seen before.

"DAHAHAHAHA!! You're really a kid, aren't you?! How funny! There's no way I'm takin' you with me!"

"THAT'S A ROTTEN TRICK!!"

Shanks went back to his drink and his meal, still smiling as he muttered something that Luffy couldn't hear. Probably more teasing remarks.

"Ugh! I'm tired of this– I even cut my cheek and he still won't agree!" Luffy huffed, like his ultimate plan had completely failed. He carried his own juice with him as he left. "Meanie."

That's it. Luffy had been disrespected for the last time. He would be running away now. To go hide on Shanks' ship so that he could tag along whether the captain wanted him to or not. Luffy decided to enact this plan when he stood up (with his juice) and started to walk towards the door.

One of Shank's men struck a match and lit a cigarette before turning to the boy. It was Beckman. He put out the lit match by smothering it in his fist.

Beckmann exhaled smoke. "Luffy. Try to understand how Shanks feels."

Luffy cocked his head to the side. "Understand Shank's feelings?"

The pirate nodded. "He's our leader. He knows that being a pirate is interesting, but... he also knows that a pirate's life is hard and extremely dangerous."

"Huh?"

"Understand? He doesn't tease your ambitions of being a pirate for no reason."

"I don't understand! He just thinks I'm an idiot!" Luffy glanced at Shanks, who called out to him from the bar.

"Can't swim!!"

"See!!!"

Luffy was pointing an accusing finger at Shanks while looking at Beckman. It was right around the time when Makino, the bartender, came in with a barrel of sake. It was the last one that was surely going to be emptied in a matter of seconds.

"Captain, you're as happy as always."

"Sure am. Making fun of Luffy brings me joy."

"He really is very happy," the smoker said.