Thirty-eight

Somehow, the alcohol didn't taste right

Somehow, the alcohol didn't taste right. It was as if I'd grown out of the alcoholic phase. A few drinks were fine, but getting drunk beyond words wasn't something that happened often for me. And now, that I'd decided to truly get smashed, I couldn't.

I stared at the half-empty glass in front of me. Mel was too busy chatting with customers to pay attention to me. Someone sat next to me, though I was too entangled in my own thoughts and mind to be bothered even sparing them a glance.

''Sometimes, I really don't understand what's going on in that head of yours.'' A soft chuckle followed suit.

Despite the music being loud, I recognized him, recognized the voice and heard clearly what he said. Slowly, I turned my head to the side, and was met with a small smile on Luka's face.

''Ah, you're here.'' I paused. I had all of these things that I wanted to tell him, and to apologize, but now that we were face to face again, the words wouldn't come out. I felt chills on my forearm, a lump formed in my throat. I chickened out.

''The question is,'' he stopped as he waved Mel over, ''why are you here? What happened to the whole 'I love London' thing?''

I laughed it off, though it hurt hearing him say it in such a monotone voice.

''I do love London, but I want to make amends before I can go back.''

He tilted his head to the side, ''You're going back?''

A bitter smile plastered on my face, I took a deep breath. ''There's nothing for me here anymore. I want to apologize to everyone, and irrelevant of the outcome, start a new life there. It's lovely and it makes me less anxious since, you know...''

My brows knitted together. ''No, I don't.''

''Well, uh, Milo's here? Somewhere? Lurking in the shadows?''

His lips thinned into a line. ''And you don't think he'd be able to find you elsewhere?''

''He could probably track me to Mars, but it's different. This is where it all happened, so I am trying to escape this place more than him.''

Luka was silent for a while. Mel poured us both another round of drinks. My eyes roamed all over this place, and a small smile formed on my face. Why did this place feel so... welcoming? It was weird. One, it was a sex club, and two, I was no longer a regular. It seemed like it was true, you could leave home, but home never left you. Or something along those lines.

''Why exactly are you not starting with Elijah?''

I snapped my eyes back to his face, ''What do you mean?''

He shrugged his shoulders. ''You should apologize to him and reconcile with him.''

My eyes rolled backward. ''I don't want that. If anyone should hate me, it's him. So, let it be like that, and I'm good.''