Nineteen

THE DAY COULDN'T  have started on a better note

THE DAY COULDN'T have started on a better note. I had woken up earlier than usual, however, I felt rested. The little kitten was asleep by my feet all night long. I needed to grab her a lot of things that she needed, since I wasn't keen on having her use my plants as a bathroom.

When I left my home she was still asleep. I had help from the shop owners in picking the most suitable food for her, two trays, a bed, and some litter box, litter and a collar with a pink heart on it. Somehow, although it didn't look like it would suit her, it was the only one that I liked, so I grabbed that as well.

I was searching for a suitable name. Google was my best friend for around two hours before I was ready to admit to my defeat. She was meowing at every single name I mentioned, and I took it as an indicator that she hated all of them. Truth be told, they weren't great.

Cora called me around noon to grab a drink with her at a nearby bar. Since it was a weekday, we decided on eight in the evening, so we'd have enough time to drink, get drunk and then sober before our work day the next morning.

I wore a black pantsuit, with black heels and no purse. I was too lazy to search for one that was going to match the outfit and be big enough to fit my wallet, phone, keys and some makeup. In the end, I took my ID and one credit card and put them inside of my phone case.

For a week day, it sure was busy. Almost every table was occupied, and instead of looking for an empty one that was far in the corner, we took a seat at the bar and ordered a bottle of Vietti Barbera d'Asti, since it was the best choice they had.

''So, did you end up naming the cat yet?'' Cora asked as soon as we were served. A wide grin split on her face as her long waves fell over her chest. I hadn't noticed how much her hair grew in such a short amount of time.

A slow sigh slipped past my lips, ''Not yet. The little devil seemed to hate every name I chose for her, and I gave up for now.''

She laughed as she took a sip of the wine, ''I mean, it's a cat. How much can she actually be angry?''

I gave her a blank stare and then joined her laughing party, ''I know, but she is really cute, you know, when she isn't smashing all of my glasses and all of that.''

Cora chuckled, ''Damn. It's been like, a day? Good luck.''

I gave her the finger, ''It's your fault. You told him to buy me a cat.''

''I didn't think he'd actually get you one immediately. You are really lucky, Freya. That man, despite looking like he constantly has a stick up his ass, seems to actually care about you.''

''I know, I can feel it.''

Cora tilted her head to the side at the sight of the fallen look on my face. She blinked, paused for a moment, and then popped the question, ''Why are you so against dating him? If it's because he is your boss, both of us know that it's something that could easily be fixed. So, why?''