nine . goodbyes

nine . "That won't happen"

Ifun doesn't last forever

I
fun doesn't last forever

         Jack watched as Schlatt walked into the room, just before he was about to start his stream

         Jack watched as Schlatt walked into the room, just before he was about to start his stream. "Hey, man.. did you just get back from visiting the hospital?" Jack asked, Schlatt sighed and took a moment to answer.

"Yeah.." Schlatt took in a deep breath. "The doctors are telling me she's gonna start having to stay in the hospital.. her condition is getting worse, and I promised her everything would be okay" He was distressed, close to crying.

"Well-- I-I can call off the stream and we can hang out with her there instead?" Jack scooted back away from the desk.

"No" Schlatt shook his head. "This isn't your fault. None of this is. I.. I need to go to the bank, I'll be back" He quickly left, any time he was offered help, or sincerity, he left. He didn't want or need anyone's help-- that's what he told himself.

But everyone has to face their fears eventually, one day, Jack had begged to visit Amaya because he missed her. Niki was also visiting texas at the time so she had also wanted to meet the girl. Schlatt couldn't say no because he was already heading there, like he always did, every day since she had been placed in that hospital.

When they made it to her room, Schlatt was surprised to see that boy from her class, Mateo, he was sitting in the blue chair Schlatt often sat in. Niki stared at the girl, she was never told of what was going on, only hearing that Schlatt had a daughter and she was in the hospital. Jack took Niki out of the room for a moment to explain to her what was going on, as for Schlatt, he spoke with Mateo.

"What are you doing here?" Schlatt asked, only to remember a second later that the kid knew little to no english. "¿por qué estás aquí?" ("Why are you here?") He asked the boy again.

"Nunca dije lo siento por no hablar con ella" ("I never said sorry for not talking to her") Mateo told the new yorker. "Ella no sabía que yo quería ser su amiga, así que le digo ahora.. pero.. ella no responde" ("She didn't know I wanted to be her friend, so I'm telling her now.. but.. she doesn't respond") He continued. "Lo siento Amaya, por favor despierta para que podamos ser amigos" ("I'm sorry Amaya, please wake up so we can be friends") He stared at the sleeping girl, he had said that to her three times now, but she never replied because she was asleep.