I risked a glance, but Westley wasn't looking at us anymore. He was using the thick part of a carrot to scratch his back. My nose crinkled as I looked back to the bowl in my hands. I was relieved to see that there weren't any carrots.

He led me back through the kitchen. We passed one of the tables and I noticed there was a small knife close to the edge of it, barely longer than my hand. I looked around, Rylan had his back to me and the cook wasn't paying any attention. I reached out with a sly hand and snatched it from the counter, soundlessly. I slipped it into the pocket of my trousers, careful to layer my shirt over so it wouldn't poke out. I didn't have a plan for the knife, but I didn't like the idea of being helpless. We sat down at one of the tables and Rylan took a seat directly across from me. "Are you not eating?"

Rylan shook his head, gesturing for me to eat. The table was rough under my palms and I could feel the knife poking into my ribcage. I kept my spine straight to keep from slicing myself open. I sheepishly grabbed the spoon and looked down at the bowl. It didn't taste nearly as bad as it looked. It could've used some spices but at least it was edible. "Mmm. Delicious."

"So where is everyone? It's a pretty big camp, isn't it?" I asked, tearing off a chunk of bread and dipping it into the few remaining spoonfuls of soup left.

"They're either training or hunting. Or doing chores."

"Hunting. Your group was out hunting when you found me, right?" I stared at the now empty bowl and swiped the crumbs of bread from the table.

"Yes. Every full moon, a large group of us go out. It's easier to hunt when you can use the light from the moon. About a day's ride out when we... when we heard you." Rylan said, quietly. His stare was burning holes into my forehead. I could sense that he was still curious. I would be too if I were him. "Do you remember anything about the ride back?"

I thought hard, but the last thing I remembered was being picked up off that tree and him whispering in my ear that it would be okay. I shook my head.

"You were out for most of it. It's probably best that you don't remember." Rylan nodded, thoughtful. "Is your back feeling better?"

"Yes." I was surprised it was the truth. "Little sore. Knox must be a miracle worker because I don't hardly feel anything."

"I believe he used a numbing balm, otherwise your answer might be different. You looked about dead when we found you."

I was suddenly more interested in scraping the last of the dredges of soup, the image of Davin's lifeless body nudging its way into my thoughts. Rylan grabbed the empty bowl and returned it to the kitchen. He offered his arm when I stood. "I'll walk you back."

The sunlight had brightened my mood but the thought of returning to a cramped cabin made me less than enthused. "Do you mind if we stay out a little longer?"

"Not at all. Where would you like to go?"

_____

I heard it before I saw it. The training grounds was just a large open field, albeit it was still very impressive. Dozens of boots pounded the ground as soldiers ran by in formation. No wonder the camp had been deserted, there must've been hundreds of men here.

Soldiers ran laps around the outskirts. There were tall columns of varying sizes at one end and men climbing to the tops of them, weighed down with knapsacks and halberds. It made me dizzy to watch them. Another section had been set up for sword practice and the clash of dull metal on metal rang in my ears as we passed it. They faltered mid-swing when they saw a girl watching them, but they quickly recovered. Perhaps because of the harsh orders Rylan barked out to them.