--

Paris, France

I felt the carriage jerk to a stop, and I woke up from leaning my head against the window. Anastasie looked startled, however she seemed to calm down after she realized it was only the carriage. "We are here", Gilbert grinned. I smiled warmly, putting on my black gloves while Henri opened the door. Gilbert got out first, and after I stood up, he lent me his gloved hand, which I happily took. He smiled, giving Henri a bag of money. "You deserve this, Henri." Henri smiled thankfully, "Thank you, Marquis. I shall be heading back now, I will see you around one o'clock." He booped Anastasie's nose, causing her to giggle, before getting back on the carriage, heading off. 

"So, where are we meeting Benjamin Franklin?", I asked, walking beside Gilbert, Anastasie leaning her head against my shoulder. "The tavern", he said casually. My eyes widened at those two words, "the tavern?" as it is full of drunken men, it is no place for a woman, let alone her one-and-a-half year old daughter. "Fear not, we are only meeting him outside, we won't be there for long, and then we will continue on foot." I nodded, and my face softened. 

As we continued on the curb, I observed my surroundings. I took note of people in rags, some not even wearing shoes or something to protect their skin from the cold weather. They proceeded to do work on the street, and I noticed a few beg for money or scraps. Some of those working were even children, struggling to make ends meet. They looked like they had not bathed in days, and they were terribly skinny; starving. My heart ached in sympathy, wishing I had brought money with me to help them, or at least give them a decent meal.

Gilbert gently nudged my arm, "Adrienne, we must move along", he sounded rushed, but he sounded like he felt sad for the people, too. It always shocked me when I get exposed to places like this. When he said this, I felt incredibly guilty, realizing I was unintentionally staring at them. "Alright", I whispered.

As we walked, I noticed a friendly-looking man sitting on a bench beside a tavern door. He was strongly built, and from a distance, he looked like he is a little bit taller than me. He had graying hair and a bald spot on his large head, and he was dressed in elegant clothing that perfectly complimented his gray eyes. When I looked up at Gilbert, about to ask if that was him, his knowing smile confirmed that he indeed, is. I smiled nervously, excited that I was about to meet such an honorable figure who supported America's independence. 

We approached him, and he graciously stood up, greeting Gilbert with a short firm handshake. "Hello, Monsieur Lafayette, I am glad to see you again." Gilbert smiled, "Oh, it is an honor to reunite with you." 

Mr. Franklin turned to me, his eyes seemingly already knowing who I am. "This is your wife, is it not, Gilbert?" Gilbert proudly nodded, and I smiled, "Hello, Mr. Franklin. I am happy I finally get to meet you." As Anastasie sucked on her fingers, the older man smiled at me, "The pleasure is all mine-- must I say, Gilbert, she is even more beautiful in person; Madame de Lafayette, your husband indeed said a lot of friendly things about you." I felt the redness rise to my cheeks, and Gilbert chuckled, dismissively waving a hand. "Oh, one can only describe so much in detail." 

"This is my daughter, Anastasie", Gilbert continued. I playfully took one of Anastasie's little hands, waving it gently. "Hello!", she babbled, not shy to introduce herself to new people. "Hello, Anastasie, aren't you adorable?", Mr. Franklin cooed. "--may I?" I nodded, handing the baby over to him, and as he held her in his arms, she seemed to enjoy him. Gilbert leaned into me affectionately, holding my hand, and I looked up at him while Mr. Franklin played with my daughter. 

"You truly think I'm beautiful?", I whispered to him. After two pregnancies, I had gained a little bit of weight, as well as earned some stretch marks on my tummy. Gilbert nodded, without any hesitation, "Of course I do, Adrienne." He kissed my cheek, his voice a soft murmur in my ear, "We could discuss your beauty further... where nothing conceals it, if you so desire." That made my face grow warm despite the chill, playfully slapping him in the arm, making him laugh softly, causing me to smile.