Of Dreams and Letters

Maria was standing on the edge of the cliffs, the wind gusted past her. She tucked her curls behind her ears as she strained to look around. She was at the amphitheater where it all started. She was alone.

The ocean far below was grey and turbulent. Huge waves crashed high against the bluffs, as though straining to reach and pull her in. She tried to step back, but her feet wouldn't budge. They were frozen in place.

Maria yelled for help, but no sound came out of her mouth. She tried falling back, but her body remained upright, as though an invisible wall stood directly behind her. She screamed harder, but still, she was muted.
The wind picked up.
A faint but high-pitched whistle came and went with the bellows of the wind. Far in the distance, she heard it again. That whistling that reminded her so much of her father.
Then realization struck her. She was dreaming, and there was only one way out of it. The roaring from the ocean grew louder, demanding she jump.

She didn't want to do this again. She didn't want to relive the burning pain of water rushing through her nose and into her lungs. She didn't want to feel the shattering of her body hitting the water.

'But this is just a dream,' a voice in her head reminded her.

Steeling herself, she took in a deep breath. She could do it. She closed her eyes and jumped. Time slowed down as she fell forward. The wind rushed past her ears. The roaring grew louder. She winced, waiting for the impact, but it never came. She opened her eyes. She was back in her dormitory with her friends.

"I feel dreadful," Maria moped that morning over breakfast.

Charlotte tossed her a judgmental look, "You look dreadful-"

"-And you look better when you're silent," Cat snapped.

Charlotte scowled but changed the topic, "Have you heard the Harrisons are sponsoring the ball this year? They volunteered many of their employees as guards." Charlotte leaned in closer to the girls, "It might be your lucky day to find a suitor amongst those men, lord knows you need that luck." With that said, she stood up and walked away.

"She hasn't changed one bit. Such a nasty girl," Cat said with disgust. "I have no idea why Mrs. Watson allows her to teach."

"She's not a kind person, but she is a good teacher," Maria said. "All the younger students like her. I think they find her remarks humorous." She paused to contemplate what she just learned, "What she said about the Harrisons is rather interesting-" She was interrupted by a yawn.

"Are you having nightmares again?" Lizzy asked.

"Yes... I think they're about my father, but I can't make heads of them," She picked at her breakfast; her appetite had vanished. She recounted the various dreams she had as Lizzy gave her a quizzical stare.
"Perhaps they're trying to tell you something? Have you told Robin?"

"Not yet."

"We want to help, what can we do?"

"Unless you know of a remedy for my dreams, I doubt there's much you can do. Thank you though." Maria rested her cheek on the palm of her hand. "I think I should visit my parents."

Maria spent the busy day with her mind lost in the haze of her ambiguous nightmares. All she could think about were her parents. In particular, her father. After her classes, Maria stood outside Mrs. Watson's office. She knocked quietly.

"Come in."

Maria opened the door and stepped inside the ornate office filled with the strong scent of mahogany wood and rose flowers. She informed her headmistress about the recent nightmares and sleepless nights she's had. "I haven't visited my parents for some time and was wondering if I may go and see them?"