Of Holidays and Repercussions

Maria walked back to the manor in a daze. Without her coat, the frigid December air stiffened her hair and chilled her skin, particularly piercing the spots that once marked Robin's kisses. Once inside, she closed the door and leaned against it.

"I'll be guessing your plans didn't develop as expected?" Marmaduke asked as he appeared out of thin air.

Maria shook her head and sighed.

Marmaduke sighed as well. He took her by the hand and led Maria to her room. There was a warm kettle of tea, a cup of hot chocolate, and a batch of freshly baked cookies on her nightstand. By the burning fireplace, there was a hot, steaming bath waiting for her. It smelled of rosemary and mint, herbs to fix her senses.

"Thank you." Her gloominess caused Marmaduke to frown.

"There's no need to thank me, it's the least I can do. You're always going out of your way to help us all," he said with a soft smile. "He will see that soon too. Just know princess, no matter what happened, or didn't, you did your best.
"I'll be in the kitchens if you need me." Marmaduke patted her hand and disappeared with another pop.

Left alone, Maria began to undress but she stopped short at her sight in the mirror. Her hair was a mess, loose curls fell randomly out of her up-do. Her bodice was skewed to the side and her lips were raw. Then she noticed her neck and gasped as realization struck her.

'No... That can't be...' Maria walked closer to her mirror and gulped. She had never seen them before, but she heard rumors. The girls at school spoke of such marks visible on.... fallen women.
A trail of faint red spots traced down from her neck to her collarbone. She thought of Robin's kisses and felt her stomach do a sickly somersault. Maria panicked and tried to wipe them away, but the more she rubbed, the redder they became.

'Oh no, no, no!' She shook off her clothes and tossed them to the floor. Then she jumped into her tub and hoped the hot water would soothe her. Maria rubbed her head wondering what to do. Despite the sweet-smelling water and crackling fireplace, she could not relax. In fact, she felt worst. Was this the start of her end?
'I kissed him. I kissed Robin De Noir.'

'Then he ran away.'

He refused to talk to her. Did he think low of her actions, is that why he left? Maria wanted to die from embarrassment. She hid her face in her hands. 'What will he think of me?'
Maria groaned. What if Robin were to tell of what she did? Her uncle would be furious. Mrs. Heliotrope would be disappointed. Her reputation, it would be ruined! She sunk lower into her tub and for a second, wondered if drowning would be a sweet release from her stupidity and impropriety.
Tears began to spill from her eyes into the water with a faint plop. As much as she tried, she couldn't stop crying. She felt so vulnerable and ashamed. She had kissed Robin De Noir, she had failed to break his curse, and now, he would probably think the worst of her.

Resting her head against the tub, she let out a groan. She was embarrassed at her state and felt a new appreciation for Marmaduke, to see her like this and not make a judgment. Maria closed her eyes and hoped that when she woke up, this would all be another bad dream she didn't remember.

...oOo...

Robin burst into his room. 'What the hell just happened?' One moment, he's chasing the girl. The next, they're kissing.

Now, he's seeing visions and his back is burning.

Robin took off his jacket and shirt, then went to the mirror. He inspected his back, his scar still looked the same, but it was throbbing and sending waves of heat through his spine.

He turned to face the mirror. His hair was a mess, and his lips were swollen. She had kissed him, but why? 'Bloody hell, she kissed me.'

'She.