A Line Blurred by Love

"For goodness's sake Richard, why didn't you tell us?" Jane was frantic as she applied some of Marmaduke's poultice over Richard's newly bleeding wound.
He was sitting on the ground surrounded by his friends and propped up by David. The melting snow left the country roads in bad shape. A particularly large and sudden bump had sent Richard into the air. In his attempt to grasp a stronghold, he reached and pulled tight against the stitches on his shoulder, ripping them. He tried his longest to contain his bleeding, kept hidden by his leather jacket, but eventually, the pain and loss of blood won over his already weakened body, and he fainted. He would have fallen off the carriage if it weren't for Henry's quick reflex.

"Here drink this." Lizzy poured some water down his mouth.

Richard grimaced as Jane quickly, yet neatly, resewed his stitches. When she was done, Henry rewrapped his bindings, though he wasn't being particularly gentle. He then moved on to check the rest of his dressings.

"Stop," Richard rasped and grasped Henry's arm. "I said I was fine."

"Damn if I believe you again," Henry scowled. He pressed his hands against Richard's torso to feel his ribs and inspected the rest of his bindings. "Everything else is fine. Why didn't you tell us?"

"I didn't want to slow us down."

"Bloody hell Richard!" David yelled. "Better late than you dead! You think Maria and Robin want to come home to your casket?"

Richard closed his eyes and laid back against Jane's lap. Beads of sweat rolled down the sides of his temple. He was breathing heavily, but despite his pain, a smile broke through.

"This isn't anything I can't handle. Just a bloody inconvenience. I won't be leaving anytime soon. Still got to take down a beast and woo a beautiful lady." Richard turned to look up at Jane with a pained grin.

"No girl wants to be wooed by a half-dead man," Jane said with a roll of her eyes.

"What if that half-dead man is as good-looking as me?"

"Not if your ego's the only thing that's made a full recovery."

"I can assure you that's not all that's made a full recovery."

"I sure hate to interrupt this riveting discussion," Cat interjected sardonically, "but I think we can all use some food. Marmaduke packed us lunch!"

Off to the side of the road, the group set up their small picnic. They tightly huddled in a circle to keep themselves warm. They chatted as they ate their sandwiches and biscuits with a cup of tea that seemed to magically remain warm.

"Do you think they found a ship?" Lizzy asked.

"I reckon," Henry replied. "There's plenty of captains that will take a good bribe."

"Robin and Maria can get out of any mess," David added.

After finishing their lunch, they convinced Richard to ride inside, after all, what passersby didn't know wouldn't hurt them. Though it wasn't needed, Lizzy took his place up on the carriage. Jane was the first to sit down, but before Cat could step in, Richard squeezed through and set himself next to Jane. He then laid across the seat, placing his head on her lap, all too pleased with himself.

"Just what do you think you are doing?"

"Getting the best seat. I'm sure Cat will understand."

With a roll of her eyes, Cat sat across from them and turned to look out the window.

"You're utterly shameless," Jane cooed as she stroked his hair, noticing strands of grey cutting through his blond.

"What did you expect? I spent close to a month with the lights knocked out of me, all the while an angel doted on me."