A Full Moon

It was the morning of the full moon. What started as a gentle wind that rose with the sun and came from the sea, was now growing bolder. The wind quickly spread across Moonacre with its sharp chill, ushering those able to back inside.
Maria sat with her friends in the manor's greenhouse. They were practicing their embroidery, huddled together for warmth. Biscuits and tea were set out on the table, left mostly untouched, and now grown cold. Maria let out a long breath. She pressed her lips together, tilting her head to the side. She hadn't had any bad dreams lately, not since her trip with Robin, but she didn't feel any relief from that. Perhaps this meant nothing would happen today—at least that's what she hoped. However, the tightness in her heart told her otherwise.
She looked up from her needlework. The girls seemed to be struggling with their focus as well. Lizzy had given up and was instead vigorously reading a book on herbology. Jane's eyes were downcast, no doubt worried about Richard. Maria bit her cheek; she was worried about Robin as well. The boys had been busy, spending every minute patrolling some part of Moonacre with only each other as company. She hoped they were safe. She hoped nothing would happen to them. Maria wished she could see Robin and help him. She wanted to be by his side, but she had strict orders to stay within the manor.
A frustrated huff from Cat drew Maria's attention. Cat's eyes were narrowed and fixated on her needlework. She angrily swept a curl behind her ear, only to toss her needlework on the table when the curl sprung loose once more. Their eyes met and Cat offered a sheepish smile.

Off in the distance, they spotted some of the De Noir guards who had been sent by Coeur. "Doesn't seem fitting, does it?" Cat said with a bite to her tone.

Maria nodded her head in agreement. "We're here sitting while they're out keeping guard. I feel so useless. What's the point of being a Moon Princess if I can't do anything?"

Jane set down her work and frowned. "I know what you mean... I want to help too, but Sir Benjamin's right. If they try anything, it's you they may be after."

Maria shook her head. "I can't help but doubt that... see I haven't had any nightmares. Perhaps nothing will happen tonight?"

"Or perhaps Althea figured out a way to sever her connection to you?" Lizzy suggested.

Maria blanched. "I'm not sure I like that idea..." She said with a sinking dread growing at the pit of her stomach. She never liked her nightmares, but at least they had served as a warning.

"Let's not rush to conclusions. The day is young. Why don't we help Marmaduke gather more herbs?" Jane suggested. "There are plenty of guards all about. We'll be safe."

After some hesitation, the girls managed to convince Sir Benjamin and Loveday to let them accompany Marmaduke into the forest. Wrolf joined them as well and it wasn't long before they scurried out of the manor.

Maria looked up into the sky. The sun was rising high above them. The brisk winds whipped their coats at their feet. She felt a strange hum through the air, one that was reminiscent of her time in La Havre. It sent chills down her back and caused the hairs on her to stand on end. Maria huddled closer to her friends.

Within the forest, they found shelter from the growing winds that were now swaying the branches back and forth. Leaves and twigs softly rained down on them. The young ladies shielded their faces with their hoods and continued closely behind Marmaduke who was now recounting a story to them. One about Moonacre and the old monastery that used to be at the top of Paradise Hills. However, Maria's focus was elsewhere, her thoughts solely on Robin. Looking around her, she wondered what the forest would tell her if she could understand. Maria's heart ached. She missed him. How dearly she wished she could see him right now. A sudden gust pushed her forwards. Maria looked behind her, but there was no one else following her. She had fallen behind her friends and was now alone. Maria wrapped the hood closer to herself and hurried onwards to catch up with her group.