A Missing Key

Paradise Hill jutted out through the thick fog, serving as a beacon for Althea. She fought against the growing winds and warily eyed the distant flashes of lightning that lit the storm clouds coming over the ocean. Her spell was working better than planned but it was no match for the incoming storm.

The harpy circled over the hill that once was her home, satisfied to see the old monastery now in ruins. To the side, she spotted an old well. The water used to be free-flowing, emerging up from the hill as if by magic, and spilling down its side into a small pond surrounded by flowers and trees. That pond no longer existed, now covered by the stone path that climbed around the hill. Only a few old and withered tree stumps remained. It was at this pond that she and her sisters used to pray to the gods above. Althea glared at the moon. What good did praying ever do? For all their devotion, they let mankind run amok and wreak havoc.

She landed by the well and peeled the fabric from the object Charles had tossed her, revealing a splendid silver basin. The basin was engraved with symbols, a remnant of the witches of old. It took them months to find such an object, the only benefit to working with the general was his network. To think they were almost ambushed by the leather-clad humans when retrieving it.

"Remove the iron grate," She commanded to the rider who had now caught up to her. At least he was of some use.

Without a word, he did as he was told and tossed the grate to the side. Althea dipped the basin into the well and filled it with water. Carefully, she took the basin to the old ruins and centered it atop an old stone slab that was once a table. Althea looked up to the moon, now brighter and larger than ever. "The first full moon of spring. The cold dark days of Hekate are truly over."

She uttered a spell and cast a purple glow onto the basin. The winds bellowed around them, as though protesting, and threatened to spill the water, only to suddenly still, leaving a perfect reflection of the moon.

Althea then pulled out a bottle and poured the iridescent silver liquid into it. She handed the empty basin to the horseman while keeping the corked bottle clutched to her side. Though his face remained shrouded in darkness, she felt his eyes boring into her. A cold chill rippled through her feathers. She had a horrible feeling about him. Working with humans was already humiliating enough. Sly and malicious creatures, she didn't trust any of them, but this one exuded the same menacing presence of the general.

"We'll await Charles where our paths divided. Let's hope he doesn't fail."

Charles was drawing near the castle and spotted a patrolling guard by the wall. He hurriedly unmounted his horse and loosely tied it by the tree. He snuck up to the guard and smacked him across the temple with his gun. The guard slunk to the floor and Charles quickly removed the guard's armor and uniform which he used to disguise himself. He then easily crept into the castle and made his way to Maybelle's room.

It was empty. Charles began to rummage through her items when he heard people approaching her door. He hid behind the wardrobe.

"Let me know if you hear of anything," he heard his sister say.

"Of course, have a good night miss." He was sure that was Cecile. What was Maybelle talking to her for?

Maybelle closed her door and hurriedly walked over to her vanity. She began to undo her updo when she saw his reflection standing behind her and screamed in terror.
"Who are you? What do you want?"

He removed his visor, "Is that any way to greet your brother?"

"Charles?" Maybelle tackled him with a hug, almost sending them down to the ground. "What are you doing here? Have you come back home? Just look at you—you lost weight!" She inspected his face, rubbing her thumb over his growing beard. "And what is it with that beard? Please tell me you've returned!"