Chapter 29

After several minutes of walking, it occurs to you that you're not making any progress towards the shining item in the distance. Though, you can't see the house behind you either so it's not a good idea for you to turn back. The light is the only indicator that you're going in the same direction, but you're otherwise hopelessly lost.

What would normally be anxiety is instead your anger slowly starting to mount itself once again. You start trudging forward at a faster rate, yet still you appear to make no progress. You start jogging, then get up to a light run until you're full on sprinting towards the light for several minutes. No progress is made, and you can only run for so long. You slow to a stop, panting in exhaustion.

You put your hands on your knees, trying to get your breath back. You glance up at the gleam in the distance, gritting your teeth. You tighten the hold on your dagger, certain that you're cracking your teeth with how hard your jaw is clenched. You grunt and can't stop yourself from slashing the air with your dagger in a fit of rage. You just want all of this to be over.

Something reverberates in the air after your strike. It hits you hard enough to send you backwards a few steps. You gasp in shock, getting your feet back under you as you look at the space before you. You slowly look down at your dagger, feeling the foreign weight in your hand. With newfound determination, you take another slash to the open air. The reverberation hits again, stronger than before.

When you get your footing again, you look up and the light in the distance is now suddenly directly in front of you. As you twist your head, you come to the sudden realization that it’s coming through some kind of hole in the blackness. You keep your eyes on it as you approach, trying to find the right angle to look at it. You can hardly see it but eventually you crane your neck in such a way that it’s shining directly onto your eye.

You can’t tell what it is, but you can only hope that it’s some sort of way out. You flex your hand that’s holding onto your dagger, wondering if it’s possible to make the hole any bigger. You carefully bring your weapon upwards, unsure of what exactly to try but wanting to try anyway. You push it towards the light and suck in a sharp breath as you feel pressure. You’re not sure how, but you’ve somehow managed to wedge your dagger into the crack.

With all the strength you can muster, you pull and slice into the invisible hole. You feel something give way and the shining light blinds you as more of it is revealed. You shut your eyes but refuse to stop your downwards arc until it’s complete. You end up dropping your blade in the process, but your work is done. Eventually, you manage to open your eyes to the brightness.

In front of you is the exact same mirror that had allowed you to enter this realm, but with a stark difference. Small parts of the mirror's surface are slightly cracked, light shining through the spaces in between. There’s some sort of muddy, black liquid leaking from the cracks as well. Slowly, it trails down the mirror and drips onto the floor below, sounding off a quiet ‘drip, drip, drip’ as it hits. Beyond the shattered surface is your bedroom, which you suspect would be your real bedroom. You cannot see your own reflection.

You need to get back to Bill. Now.

You turn around, only to come face to face with Elegar. Your heart jumps out of your chest, expecting him to immediately attack you. Thankfully, he doesn’t. “You’re a clever little thing, aren’t you?” He sneers at you, showing his teeth which are definitely sharper than they should be. Gaining your wits about you, you quickly scoop your dagger up from the floor, pointing it dangerously at him.

“No sudden movements, Elegar. Or else I smash that mirror behind me.” You don’t even think it through before you say it, but it’s too late to remove it from the air. Instead of pointing your dagger at him, you point it directly at the partially destroyed mirror. He frowns. “I wouldn’t do anything foolish just yet. If you destroy that mirror, you won’t be able to leave.” He’s clearly trying to push you off such an action, but you can tell you’re making him nervous. His adam’s apple bobs as he swallows and his eyes keep darting from your dagger to the mirror. You have an upper hand.