Chapter 18

Explaining a date to Bill turns out to be a hassle and a half but you get through it relatively quickly. You both agree to have dinner together in town tomorrow, but Bill wants to figure out the details so you leave him to the rest. The blanket gets thrown over you, the lights are turned out, and Bill shuts the door behind him while you try to get some sleep. You roll over on the bed, facing the window to the outside with the light of the moon shining in.

There's a perpetual sense of warmth left in your chest that oddly feels like cotton. What Bill said to you earlier is running on a loop in your head over and over and over again. 'I think I love you.' He seemed uncertain at first, but the conversation proved that he was more and more sure of himself as time went on. It makes you wonder how long he had been feeling that way, or if it's a true feeling at all. After all, he could still be lying to you. You feel that you owe him a little more credit than that, but you're still left unsure and your thoughts are all mixed up.

You roll over again, face first into your pillow, and pull the sides around your face to scream into it. Love is always so complicated which is why you focus on your alchemical studies instead. Plus, falling in love with Bill will change everything. And you mean everything. It adds dozens of questions into you head like what will happen once he has his powers or where he will go. If he starts Weirdmaggedon again, will he do something strange like ask you to rule alongside him? Would you even mind if he asked you that? What if he wants you to be a demon like him? And how would it change your relationship with all the Pines? Mabel, Dipper, Stan, Ford?

Worse so is your minds supplementation of the more human, less moralistic questions like what kind of boyfriend would Bill be. He seems rather protective and clearly a bit on the caring side. Is he the jealous type? Would he punch a boy just for looking at you or talking to you? How affectionate would he be? Would he throw kisses your way around every corner or only in special moments? What about gifts or dates? How often would he say 'I love you'?

You continue rolling through questions late into the night, keeping you up until you fall asleep somewhere in between. It's taxing on your mental state and your energy, but it gives you plenty of time to think of your plans for tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You sit up with a gasp, sweat drenching your form. You throw the blankets onto the floor and scramble for a pen inside your bedside table drawer. Multiple items fly to the ground as you anxiously throw them to the side until you find it. Clicking it to life, you scribble a singular word onto the back of your hand. You press into your own skin as hard as you dare to make sure the ink sticks to the sweat. It's only 6 letters, and by the time you write it, the word is fading from your head. Once the deed is done, the pen is added to the contents on the ground.

You pant with your heart pounding in your ears, trying to calm down from your early morning frenzy. It's happened again; the nightmare. However, this time, you are finally left with a remnant of what it means. That terror that you have become accustomed to is fading like dust on the wind and a black window is your welcome to any memory of it. Even the word you are generously gifted is but sand falling through your fingers until it's gone from relative thought.

Once you give yourself the proper time to recoup, you look down at your aching hand and stare at the word scrawled into your skin. 'Mirror' is all it reads. Your eyes look at it for minutes on end, baring a whole into your own skin as if the word will change into something you can understand or recognize. As it is, you can't fathom what the word itself can mean pertaining to your dream. A nightmarish terror with no memory of it and screaming in your sleep, but 'mirror' is all you're left with. It's a little anticlimactic in all honesty, but surely it has to mean something if it came from the dream itself.