Chapter 17

Mabel looks on curiously as you collect yourself for a few seconds. You are almost completely sure that she knows what you're going to bring up and talk about. Finding the words for it will be just a touch more difficult. A few seconds pass, and you take a deep breath. This shouldn't be as hard as it seems, but it is because you're nervous and you don't know what Mabel will say. Well, best to just figure it out as you go along.

"Um, Mabel, I just wanted to say....thank you. For, you know, treating Bill like a regular person." You can't tell if these are the right words you want to use, but the message seems to get across. Mabel blinks at your statement then smiles gently, a rare sight really. "Well, yeah! I said I would give him a chance and I will! It wouldn't be fair if I tried to avoid him like the plague. Besides, you were right; he is fun to hang around." That's something you can agree on. At least when he isn't trying to annoy the living daylights out of you.

"Yeah, told ya. But thanks, really. I was honestly expecting you to never talk to me again and make a mile radius around my house to never go into. I'm....really glad honestly. I feel like Bill just needs some friends. Maybe he was just lonely all that time and it made him crazy, you know? But I can tell that he's really happy here and he seems a lot nicer. Maybe by the end of it, he won't want his powers." It's a silly thought, you realize, but a nice thought to have nonetheless. As long as Bill still lives with you, it's a thought you're willing to entertain.

"I'm sure you can convince him at your wedding." She gives you a grin and you roll your eyes, only the lightest pink dusting your cheeks. It's one thing for Mabel to tease you about Mike but another entirely when it's about Bill. "Oh come on Mabel, you know it's not like that with Bill. Besides, we made an agreement to tolerate each other while this deal is going so I doubt he even likes me all that much." This statement seems to make her pause and she looks at you for several seconds before shaking her head. "No way! He totally likes you! Have you seen the way he looks at you? He looks at you like....like you put the stars in the sky. Like you're his key to taking over the world. Like you're gonna make all his dreams come true. Like yo-"

"Okay Mabel! I get it, geez. I think you're the one living a fantasy, Bill barely knows what being human means." You doubt Bill hardly understands what caring for someone is, let alone loving someone in that way. You don't even know if you like him in that way. Do you? You can hardly tell; he's always getting on your nerves so often that it blocks out any good feelings you get from him. Then again, last night was...a different story.

You shake your head and pull your thoughts away. "Anyway, thats pretty much all I wanted to say." You pause for a second then perk up as something comes to mind. "Well, actually, since you know Dipper the best...Do you think it would ever be possible to tell him the truth?" You know Dipper has had a mean past with Bill and they definitely aren't on great terms, but your biggest concern is whether he'd tell Ford or not if he knows where Bill is. Mabel frowns and you can already tell the answer won't be good. "Um, I'm not sure. Dipper is nice and all but I think it's a little early to tell him anything. I'll make sure we hang out tons with Mike though, so by the time we tell him, he won't care about the difference!" She winks and sticks her tongue out, giving the idea of a 'I got this!' kind of look.

You sigh and take a glance outside. It is getting pretty late. "Alright, well, you and Dipper better head back before Stan starts to flip his pancakes. Thanks for hanging out with us today." Mabel grins and hops over to you to give you a gentle hug, which you accept immediately. You give her a pat on the back before you pull away, ushering her off with her brother so they aren't late getting back to the Shack.

The two twins leave with some final goodbyes. You note that Dipper seems a little off put by something but you can't tell exactly what. Bill and you reconvene in the living room. You're left with a lingering warmth from the day of fun Mabel had brought the lot of you. "That was fun, wasn't it Bill?" You await his answer while he stares at you blankly. You begin to grow concerned, wondering if he instead finds the day insufferable. You hope he can stand Mabel and Dippers company enough to enjoy the games you all played. "Bill?"