Ballad

"Ballad," Mr. Schueter spoke, writing the word on the whiteboard in the choir room, underlining it and turning to face them. "From Middle English, balade. Who knows what this word means?"

"It's a male duck," answered Brittany with a smile, not bothering to raise her hand like Kurt and Rachel did.
.
Mr. Schue shook his head and pointed to another student. "Kurt."

"A ballad is a love song." Kurt said dreamily, sighing with a smile.

"Sometimes," Mr. Schuester nodded,agreeing with him. "But they don't always express love. Ballads are stories set to music-which is why they're the perfect storm of self-expression. Stories and music are the way we express feelings that we can't get out any other way. Okay, now, sectionals are in a few weeks and there's a new rule this year- we have to perform..." he gestured to the board behind him, "A ballad."

"So he finally did his job and learned the rules," Santana whispered, looking to the chair beside her realizing Mickey Hummel wasn’t there, frowning noticing that she wasn’t the only one as she saw Mike looking as well.

He hadn’t been to the Glee Club since the week of their wheels assignment. Not only that but he had quit the Cheerios and practically disappeared with the crowd. If you saw him he was by himself or with his girlfriend, who everyone noticed seemed more lively than normal while Mickey seemed like the light he had just got back left for good, and no one knew how to get it back. Matter fact no one besides Sue and Santana tried constantly to talk to him or make him smile but all their attempts failed.

"Looks like my weekly letter to the Ohio Show Choir Committee finally paid off!" Rachel said excitedly, grinning at Puck, who just gave her a Sarcastic smile in return.

"Okay. So here's our assignment for the week: I'm going to pair you off, and I want you to pick a ballad to sing to your partner. Look them right in the eye, find the emotion you want to express, and make them feel it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking to his locker, Mickey saw Santana waiting on what he could only imagine was himself, sighing as he walked up to her putting in his combination,”What do you want,Santana?,” he spoke not even glancing at her,”You know I can’t talk to you anymore, especially in public,” he sighed acting as if he was getting his books

“Mickey, please,” she pleaded, trying to get him to look at her,”We have this assignment in Glee, we’re singing ballads and I want to sing one to you,” she revealed to him making him stop all his actions

“Why would you want to do that?” he asked still looking in his locker hoping no one close to Lexi saw them

“To sing you a song that shows you that we still care about you. ‘Womb to Tomb’ remember, no matter what Lex-” she was cut off by a slam of the locker door making her jump

“Lexi hasn’t said anything,” he muttered, still looking straight,”And even if she did, she doesn’t have too. These past few weeks no one has treated me like I cared and I think that was enough,alright. ‘Womb to Tomb’ my ass” he snapped at her slightly, finally looking at her,seeing the tears she had in her eyes and feeling the one that began to fall from his own,

”These past few weeks, it’s just been me alone, by myself, on my lonesome while my two best friends and older brother walk by as if nothing was happening like they didn’t notice. But I saw the looks you gave me, I saw how you looked at me when you thought I wasn’t paying attention.” He spat at her in anger, closing his eyes and relaxing slightly, “I just want you to leave me alone, ok. Join the rest of this fucking school and ignore me. I’m getting used to it and sooner or later I’ll learn to accept it fully and maybe you Santana. You want to sing this song for me but I promise you if you walked up to the Glee Club and had them vote there would be no fucking hands.” he paused, and looked her dead in the eyes looking remorseful,”I’m sorry,but I’m going through a lot right now and when I needed someone the most nobody was there, and now that I don’t want anybody you come and try to help.”

“Mickey, it’s not like that,” She sighed,”We,” she paused,”I thought that maybe you needed some time alone and after what happened with Mike-”

“He told you what happened?” he asked looking as if he had just been betrayed

“Yea,but I asked and he didn’t exactly want to tell,” she told him quickly,”but what I’m trying to say is I love you-”

“God!” he exclaimed hitting the locker in anger,”I really wish people would stop fucking telling me that. Fuck!” he kicked the locker in frustration, backing away then stalking towards her then hesitating and freezing in one spot.

At this time mostly everyone was either watching the two or ran in fear of what the male would do,”I don’t even know what that word means anymore,if I ever did” he mumbled, shaking his head,”Look,” he sighed, crossing his arms,”It’s too late to help me, I’m far too gone now. I just want to be left alone,” he turned and walked away hearing her yell at him

“No you don’t!” she yelled causing the whole hallway to silence,”You need me! And you want my help! I know you!”

As he walked away, he could only think one thing, ‘I do need you and I do want your help. But… You can’t help me’
~~~~~~~~~~~

At the end of the week he saw the Glee Club performing ‘Lean on me’ for Quinn and Finn. He only had one thought in mind as he saw the Club comfort the teen parents, ‘Why couldn’t you do this for me’ he walked away with tears threatening to fall but pushed them down as he reached his girlfriend who was waiting at the end of the hall.

“Come on, you have a lot to work on,” she grabbed his hand as they walked out the school and into his doom.

Authors Note: I promise things are gonna get better for him soon but it won't in the next chapter but I promise soon he will be saved and Lexi will get what she deserves.