Chapter Eighteen

"I'm afraid there is no open position at Henderson House," Mrs. Henderson said regretfully. She reached over to take my hand in hers, no doubt seeing the disappointment in my expression. "I'm sorry, my dear. I wish I could help."

"Why would Miss Greaves send for a maid from London?" Mr. Henderson asked from where he was sitting across from us. "Wouldn't it have made more sense to bring a maid when you first came? Why go to the trouble of hiring a local girl only to dismiss her?"

A sliver of guilt wormed its way into my mind, but I held my tongue. It was my fault. If I hadn't befriended Katie, this wouldn't have happened. 

Mrs. Henderson shook her head and heaved a sigh. "I mean no offense to the lady, but I'm afraid I have frequently been confused by Miss Greaves' behavior," she commented. 

The subject of our conversation had declared that morning she did not feel up to attending the morning service. I wasn't sure if I believed her or not. Did she simply wish to avoid the first burst of disapproval from our neighbors?

"I wish Katie was not caught in the middle," I said honestly. "Can you think of anyone who might have need for a maid of all work? She's an honest, hard worker."

I caught a glimpse of Mr. Henderson's frown. Was he thinking of an answer to my question? Or was something else causing him concern? Should I have kept the story to myself until I had Mrs. Henderson alone? Was Mr. Henderson bored by the conversation about maintaining a household?

"I'm sure there is no rush to find Katie a new position," Mrs. Henderson said, pulling my attention back to her. "There is no reason to assume this maid from London will suit Miss Greaves any better than Katie did. And if she is dismissed... well, there's not an overabundance of girls looking for a position in the area."

"I doubt Miss Greaves would wish to hire Katie again," I told her regretfully. "She took the poor girl in dislike." 

The exact reason for this dislike I kept to myself. Would they even believe me if I told them the truth? They might assume I had too high an opinion of myself.

"Well, there's no use borrowing trouble," Mrs. Henderson said, squeezing my hand. "I'm sure you will find this new maid just as good a worker as Katie has been, even if she is from London. We wouldn't want to think ill of her before we have even met her!"

Murmuring agreement, I ducked my head. Trust Mrs. Henderson to have a better view of things than I did! It would not reflect well on me if I anticipated trouble with the new maid before she had arrived. Though I knew there would be trouble. Miss Greaves would hardly make the same mistake twice. She would have ensured the maid's loyalty to her, or I would eat my bonnet!

The idea that I would be without an ally in the cottage frightened me. Katie's watchfulness had kept Miss Greaves from being anything more than verbally abusive. How would she behave when she knew there would be no witness to anything she might do?

Several people greeted me in the churchyard. For the most part, the neighborhood had stopped staring at me and whispering behind my back. At least in view of myself and the Hendersons. I suspected some of the older ladies who were friendly with Miss Greaves had plenty to say in their own sitting rooms!

Katie caught my gaze on the other side of the yard, but she didn't approach. I would have to do so after the morning service. 

Mr. Chewton spoke on the importance of honesty and virtue. Beyond that, I couldn't even pretend to pay attention. My mind was awhirl with worry and guesses about what would happen next.

What was Miss Greaves up to? She had always insisted on frugality .It had been so long since I'd had a letter from Papa, and it wasn't that Miss Greaves was keeping them from me. One of Katie's tasks had been to bring any correspondence to me and to take any letters I wrote to be sent.