Chapter Fifteen

An entire week passed without a visitor to the cottage. Miss Greaves did not invite her friends in the neighborhood. Katie reported that Mrs. Henderson was confined to her home due to a cold, so I could not expect a friendly visit from her.

Katie also told me that she'd heard Mr. Henderson's dog was recovering quickly. I never would have expected to be relieved to be informed about the health of a dog, but here we were. At least Miss Greaves hadn't thought of some way to use it against me.

I confined my afternoon walks to the garden, taking several turns around the perimeter. When I allowed my thoughts to wander, I found myself planning what plants I would add to the flower beds. From my reading of Grandmother's books, there were some herbs for cooking and some blooms simply for pleasure that I thought would look fine.

Ridiculous!

When spring arrived, I wouldn't be at Gardenview cottage. But where would I be? I'd begged Father to let me have a season in London, but was that a dream I would have to put behind me? Would I be stuck in Bath, with older men and women for company, forever?

The thought made me shudder.

"There's no need to be dramatic," Miss Greaves said from where she was putting on her bonnet. "It is not that cold outside today. And most people endure any weather to attend church on Sunday."

Would there be any point in trying to correct her? I had never gone this long without attending a Sunday service, but I wasn't sure how I would be received.

"For goodness sake," Miss Greaves exclaimed, sounding genuinely surprised. "Whatever is a carriage doing here? Why would someone be coming to call on a Sunday morning?"

"I don't know," I said honestly. I stood up from the kitchen chair I had been sitting at. Katie had Sunday mornings off, and so I had made my own tea. "Do you see who it is?"

"If I'd seen who it was, I wouldn't be asking you, would I?" Miss Greaves responded. She paused. "Oh. I do believe it is Mr. Henderson."

"What?"

"He is coming to the door." Miss Greaves glanced over her shoulder, a reroving expression on her face. "You didn't say you had invited him."

"I didn't invite him," I told her sharply. "I cannot think why he is here."

There was a knock on the door. "Well, I suppose it falls to me to put right whatever you have done," Miss Greaves said, moving towards the door.

Why did she immediately think I was to blame? I had done nothing! Indignant, I followed her just in time to see her pull the door open.

"Good morning, Miss Greaves," Mr. Henderson greeted. "I hope I find everyone well."

"Good morning, Mr. Henderson," Miss Greaves answered. "Yes, we are all well. There was no reason for you to visit this morning. I could have assured you of our good health when I saw you at the church."

"I know...Mrs. Smith has been told to be careful since her fall," Mr. Henderson said, ignoring the not-so-subtle reproof. That hesitation before saying my fake name. Was it because he knew it was false? He looked past Miss Greaves at me. "I have come to offer my family's carriage to convey you to the church. If you feel up to it."

"Oh, what a kind offer," Miss Greaves exclaimed. "If you had sent a message before going to the trouble, I would have told you that Mrs. Smith has decided to remain at home. She does not feel equal to going out. Grief, you know. It comes out at the strangest times."

Mr. Henderson's smile remained in place, but something in his eyes changed. He knew Miss Greaves was telling a bouncer. Should I have warned her that Mr. Henderson knew something?