Chapter Twelve

Thanks to my fall, I was the center of attention when Miss Greaves' guests arrived. And I found it all very tedious, something I never would have expected to feel!

Poor Katie rushed from the kitchen to the sitting room, providing tea and biscuits for each arrival. There were shadows under her eyes, evidence of the late night we had spent. Each time she caught my eye, though, she smiled happily.

I, on the other hand, found it difficult to keep a smile on my face. Having the ladies near me meant it was more difficult to hear what Miss Greaves might be saying to someone on the edge of the group. Was she whispering a scandal or simply commenting on the weather?

In the midst of Mrs. Finnegan's scolding about being careful, Mrs. Henderson arrived. She was greeted by all the older ladies with delight, though Miss Greaves was not so effusive. I couldn't decide if I was grateful to see my friend, or frightened she would be present to hear something scandalous!

"I am delighted to see you out of bed and among friends, my dear Mrs. Smith," Mrs. Henderson said as she reached me. "Though I must say, you look tired today. Are you well?"

"I am well enough," I answered honestly. How had she noticed what none of the other ladies had? "The storm with the howling wind kept me awake last night. I fear I am not at my best this morning."

"Mrs. Smith, you mustn't fish for compliments!" Miss Greaves exclaimed with a light laugh. "You know you are looking fine today."

A few of the other ladies tittered. Mrs. Henderson shook her head. "My goodness, Miss Greaves," she said, her tone reproving. "What lady hasn't wished to be assured she looked well? I am confident in my looks, but there are days when I am uncertain."

The ladies who had giggled looked shamefaced. "Besides, I feel quite as Mrs. Smith does," Mrs. Henderson continued. "The storm kept me awake for much longer than usual. I could not stop thinking about Frederick and hoping that whatever inn he stayed at was weather tight."

There was a murmuring of sympathy from the four older ladies. "That boy will never settle down, will he?" Mrs. Finnegan said, shaking her head. "Or has he gone in pursuit of a lady?"

Of course that suggestion made everyone's face light up with interest. It took everything in me not to frown, though I don't know why it upset me. Why should it matter to me what Mr. Henderson did?

"He has gone to see a friend who is about to marry," Mrs. Henderson responded with a smile. "Do you remember when Mr. Adam Melbourne visited ten years ago? He and Frederick landed themselves in such mischief that summer!"

My breath caught in my throat as the group chuckled. Mr. Melbourne? Of all the people Mr. Henderson could know, why did it have to be Mr. Melbourne? Would it be naive of me to hope that mr. Melbourne still thought well of me? I might have ignored him but I'd never hurt him in any way.

Or had I?

Maybe I wouldn't even be mentioned. There wouldn't be a reason, right? Mr. Henderson would hardly be thinking of me, and apparently, Mr. Melbourne was about to be married.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Miss Greaves frown. Was she concerned about this information too? No, why would she be? She didn't know Mr. Melbourne. She couldn't know that he was in Bath. What had caught her attention?

"If he had told me ahead of time that he planned to go, I would have asked if there was a letter he could take for you, Mrs. Smith," Mrs. Henderson told me. "But he came to me yesterday and said he had to be off right away."

"I understand," I managed to say. "How fortunate he is to be in such a position where he can just go when he pleases!"

Would I be shunned when he returned? Would Mrs. Henderson's opinion of me change when he did?