Chapter Six

On Thursday, I dressed in the first altered black gown. I had always thought the color a dismal one, but when I looked in the mirror, I was astonished how well it looked on me. Perhaps wearing mourning wouldn't be as awful as I thought.

However, making the walk to Henderson House was just as unpleasant as I had imagined it would be. The road was uneven and muddy. Farmers with wagons would come up and the road was so narrow, Miss Greaves and I had to stand aside for them.

Oh for the pavement of Bath! A walk there would never have involved dirt or inconvenience.

Miss Greaves was of the exact opposite opinion. She would not stop rhapsodizing about the fresh air and the beautiful scenery. As though there was anything interesting about fields and sheep!

Henderson House was a large brick house. There were eight windows symmetrically placed on the front. The grounds surrounding the house were neatly manicured.

For a country dwelling, it wasn't too shabby.

"While the Henderson family are not magistrates or squires, they are one of the important families in the neighborhood," Miss Greaves informed me. "You should feel honored that you have been invited to tea."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "I am a gentleman's daughter visiting a gentleman's home," I responded. "Why should I feel as though they are doing me a favor?"

"A gentleman's daughter would know better than to get herself in your situation," Miss Greaves chided. "If it were to become known, you would not be admitted into any respectable house."

Gritting my teeth, I forced myself not to rise to the bait. It was galling that she was correct. If anyone found out I was with child and unmarried, I would never be able to show my face in polite society again.

The front door was opened by a very proper butler. He escorted us to the first floor drawing room where Mrs. Henderson was seated with needlework. "Mrs. Smith! I am so glad you could come," she greeted with a broad smile. There was a slight pause. "And you as well, Miss Greaves."

"I am happy to be invited," I responded, pleased that she appeared to dislike Miss Greaves as much as I did. "Your home is lovely."

"Thank you for your invitation, ma'am," Miss Greaves said with a polite curtsey. "We had a lovely walk, didn't we Mrs. Smith? The country is so good for fresh air and exercise."

"Never say you walked!" Mrs. Henderson exclaimed, her eyes widening. "In Mrs. Smith's condition? Oh, no! You ought to have taken the dog cart."

"As you can see, she is perfectly well," Miss Greaves said, gesturing at me. Her tone shifted slightly, revealing her annoyance at being contradicted. "A walk has never hurt anyone."

A walk had resulted in my grandmother's death. Perhaps the same thought occurred to Mrs. Henderson, for she shook her head. "I'm afraid we have no cart at Garden View," I admitted, demurely dropping my gaze. "Miss Greaves is always reminding me that my circumstances have been reduced."

"Oh, my. Well, it is always better to be overly cautious than to assume all is well," she said. "I insist you allow my carriage to take you home. And in the future, I will send the carriage to bring you here."

My feet would be spared! "You are very generous," I told her, trying to keep my delight hidden. "Miss Greaves and I will happily accept."

"But if the midwife recommends some exercise, we will abide by her advice," my companion said firmly. "After all, no one wants to be labeled a laggard."

"Please sit down and I will ring for tea," Mrs. Henderson invited, not acknowledging Miss Greaves' decree. "You must be in need of refreshment after your exertions."