21.- You are bound to me

Start from the beginning

"We all are," North said as they came over to them, dragging her feet as they fought to keep her eyes open. Since both North and Lupita were shifters their effects from the upcoming new moon were stronger than any other werewolf, though Lupita suspected hers to be worse as North still seemed to be functioning somewhat normally, while even a step for Lupita would leave her almost panting.

After taking a few deep breaths, Lupita finally stood up and slung her bag over her shoulder. She had to get out of this big box of sweaty, mean, young adults.

"Is John picking you up today?" Jazmyn asked as they slowly walked through the hallways. She walked close to Lupita and occasionally supported her when she lost her balance.

"He is coming here. But I'm not going to go to his home. I need forest," Lupita said and rubbed her sleepy eyes. Her feet felt like they were made of bricks and her eyelids felt ten times heavier than normal.

"Is that safe?" Jazmyn asked and waved at Valeria who had shown up beside them and was now supporting North as they continued to walk.

"I don't know," Lupita said. It was a lie. She knew it was dangerous. Definitely now when she was fatigued and her connection to her wolf was weak. But she needed to be outside, in her element. She would not survive staying in the human part of town.

"Shouldn't someone at least go with you?" Jazmyn asked again. "Mom won't let me come with you. But maybe North can?" One glance at North shut down her suggestion. Jazmyn opened her mouth again to say something but quickly shut it after one look at Valeria.

"I'll be fine," Lupita said with a weak smile as they walked out of the school building. She looked around for John but her eyes found Ambrosia instead. She was talking with the tall lanky boy and the dark-skinned girl. She was wearing her usual all-black clothing, though with a slightly thicker long-sleeve shirt and tight-fitting pants. The witch was wearing a cozy-looking, multicolored, knitted sweater and soft-looking brown pants. And the boy was wearing all black, with a black leather jacket. It became clear to Lupita that Ambrosia had still not fully turned, which slightly confused her.

Lupita was brought out of her staring by a heavy hand on her shoulder. When she looked up she saw John's bearded face giving her a smug smile.

"She's pretty," he said and patted her shoulder. Lupita nodded and glanced back at the group only to find the boy giving her a death glare. She returned it by sticking her tongue out at him. Sure, it was childish, but it was fun to see him get very confused by it. "He doesn't like you," John said and hummed deeply while giving the boy a dirty look. "You have your stuff?" John asked and Lupita handed him her backpack. "And be home before midnight."

"I will," Lupita said and smiled at him. She rarely talked to him. It was more just using gestures, noises, and facial excretion. Talking didn't feel quite natural to her, and she didn't like speaking a language that wasn't her mother tongue. So John had been doing a lot of the talking and they found several ways for her to communicate without using words. One of them was sign language. Lupita knew the Norwegian form and had been taught the English version as well. John was trying his best to learn the basics and he was doing very well.

"Are you sure you will be ok?" this time it was Valeria that asked. She sent a cautious look to Lupita's shoulder and her jaw tensed.

"I will," Lupita said and smiled at her. Her shoulder had healed very well and she could use it like she did before. She had been tired for a while and had only returned to school a few days after when she felt just like before.

"Then I wish you luck," Valeria said and adjusted North who had almost fallen asleep in the little time they were there.

"Thanks," Lupita said and turned to John. She signed "I love you" to him before walking toward the forest. Which was coincidentally also in the same direction in which Ambrosia and her group were.