Chapter 2 Fallen Down

Trigger Warning!!!

-Suicide Attempt      -Family death

~~~~~~~~~~

The monsters that were banished into the mountain had made a life here for the past fifteen years. They called their new settlement "Home" a fitting name that the King, Asgore, had thought was perfect. His wife, Toriel, had given birth to a child a year before the great war, naming him Asriel. He could never remember the sight of the blue sky and stars or the sun on his furred face. All he knew were the stories that his parents would tell him as he went to sleep.

The three of them were going to head deeper into the Mountain later today. The Monsters that were in charge of mining out the rock to look for easier access to the Barrier had finally found a place that oversees a large part of it. Asgore asked that his family be moved there to protect and watch over that part of the Barrier, and he called this new destination, New Home. Asgore thought he was quite brilliant when it came to naming things, however it was much to his wife's dismay. 

Asriel woke up to the smell of Butterscotch Cinnamon pie lying on his bedroom floor. His mother made the best pies he had ever tasted. It was the early afternoon of the biggest day of his life. His sixteenth birthday. He had heard so many stories and read so many books that the sixteenth birthday was supposed to be special. Springing out of bed, he put on a purple shirt with the Royal Crest sewn into the front. Picking up his slice of pie, he rushed towards the dining table. His mother was seated in her lounge chair, politely named, Chariel.

"Oh, someone's excited!" Toriel exclaimed.

Asriel only nodded, eating his pie quickly. He had told her that he wanted to go outside into the old city to play. He mainly wanted to go to the cave, a small opening in the mountain where there were a lot of snails. Sometimes he would even bring some home, and his mother would make some snail pie.

Running out of the small house that faced the cavern with traps and mechanisms, he made his way towards the end of the cavern. The traps were to prevent humans from possibly coming down from the cave cavern and ambushing. However, with fifteen years coming and going, it was almost unnecessary now. Toriel had marked off which switches to press, signs telling you where to go, and how to open the rest of the area.

Asriel darted towards the cave entrance, jumping over spikes, and climbing through tunnels. Once he got there, he started looking around the damp vines for any snails he could find. The entire floor was covered in tough grey dirt, and there was the slightest bit of light shining from the top of the cavern. The Barrier. Nobody could reach that part of the Barrier though, not even the Whimsins. There had to be another exit deep within the mountain.

A loud thud, and crack of something tough snapping nearly scared Asriel to his core. He turned around slowly, trying to figure out where the sound came from. In the middle of the cave, there was a limp, nearly lifeless body. He had never seen this kind of monster before. The top of its head was covered in thick, long brown hair. But their paws and legs were bare skin. They were wearing a knitted green sweater with a single yellow stripe around the torso.

"M-mph.." The limp monster sounded like it was in pain.

"Oh! You've fallen down, haven't you... Are you okay?" He asked. "Here, get up..."

The one on the ground outstretched its hand, covering its face with the other. Their face seemed very badly discolored, but it was hard for Asriel to see with the long hair covering most of it. They staggered, and Asriel helped catch them and bring them to their feet. As if reading his mind, the monster grappled onto him tightly, stating three words.

"M-my name... C-Chara.." They said, squeezing tightly onto his paw.

"Chara, huh? That's a nice name." He helped them walk, guiding them towards the entrance to the maze of a cavern. "My name is Asriel."