Chapter eleven

P R E T T Y   M U C H   D E A D   A L R E A D Y

The group was scattered around their camp having breakfast. Hayley was perched on one of Daryl's thighs, his arm wrapped around her waist. For once it was calm and peaceful. Hayley should have known it wouldn't last.

"Um, guys." Only Lori and Hayley looked up once Glenn started talking. "So. The barn is full of walkers." That sure caught everyone's attention.

The group moved down to the bar, peeking through the wooden boards only to get Glenn's statement confirmed.

"You cannot tell me you're all right with this," Shane spat at Rick.

"No, I'm not, but we're guests here. This isn't our land." Rick defended.

"God, this is our lives, man!"

"Lower your voice," Hayley and Glenn spoke at the same time.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug," Andrea piped up.

"It ain't right. Not remotely. We've either got to go in there, we've got to make things right, or we've just got to go. Now we have been talking about Fort Benning for a long time."

"We can't go."

"Why, Rick? Why?"

"Because my daughter is still out there." Carol's tone said the reason was obvious.

"Okay. Okay, I think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility."

"Shane, we're not leaving Sophia behind." Rick shut him down.

Daryl stepped closer to the group. "I'm close to finding this girl. I just found her damn doll two days ago."

"You found her doll, Daryl. That's what you did. You found a doll."

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about," Hayley yelled, taking a step closer, Daryl right behind her.

"I'm just saying what needs to be said. You get a good lead, it's in the first 48 hours."

"Shane, stop," Rick tried but Shane just talked right over him.

"Let me tell you something else, man. If she was alive out there and saw you coming, all methed out with your buck knife, and geek ears around your neck, she would run in the other direction."

"Shut your mouth!"

Daryl started toward Shane, said man not backing off. Rick was quick to get in the middle of the two, trying to keep them from killing each other. The two kept going at it until Rick sent Hayley a pleading look causing her to join him between the two. Her hands shoot out, pushing against both men's chest until they backed off."

"Hey! This shit is solving nothing. Shane shut the hell up about Sophia or I swear to whatever holy power there is that I will castrate you in your sleep," the brunette growled.

"Keep your hands off me," Shane said to Lori as she pushed at him, he did not respond to Hayley's threat but did back off.

"Now just let me talk to Hershel. Let me figure it out."

"What are you gonna figure out?" Shane turned toward Rick.

"Enough!" Both Hayley and Lori shouted, their hands pushing against him at the same time.

"If we're gonna stay, if we're gonna clear this barn, I have to talk him into it," Rick continued. "This is his land."

"Hershel sees those things in there as people, sick people, his wife, his stepson." Dale joined the discussion.