7

Jasmine Atakni

Noah makes his way down and strides towards us, his presence commanding attention. The air around us seems to crackle with tension as he approaches. My heart races in my chest, and I feel a mix of anticipation and apprehension.

"Jake, show Mrs. Lance the site," Noah instructs with a hint of authority in his voice.

Noah nods quickly and rushes towards a group of men struggling to lift heavy pieces of wood. I try to focus on the task at hand, anywhere but Noah's piercing gaze. The intensity in his eyes is palpable, sending shivers down my spine.

"Noah," I begin, my voice barely above a whisper, but he interrupts me.

"Let me show you around, Mrs. Lance," he says my name with a touch of sarcasm and disdain, as if he's mocking the formality. He starts leading the way, and I reluctantly follow, feeling a mix of curiosity and unease.

As we walk through the construction site, the noise of machinery and workers fades into the background. The atmosphere between us becomes charged, the silence punctuated only by the sound of our footsteps.

I can't help but notice the way Noah's muscles flex beneath his shirt as he moves, his presence radiating a raw magnetism that is hard to resist.

Suddenly, Noah stops and removes his helmet, placing it onto my head. The gesture catches me off guard, and I instinctively reach up to adjust it.

But before I can react, he gently raises my jaw, guiding it into place, forcing our eyes to meet.

Time seems to stand still as our gazes lock, a clash of emotions passing between us. The butterflies in my stomach intensify, their wings beating frantically. It's a mixture of longing, uncertainty, and an undeniable connection that I've tried to suppress.

The tension between us is palpable, an electric current that crackles in the air. I can feel the heat of his breath on my skin, his touch lingering on my jaw as he tightens the helmet.

Every fiber of my being is drawn to him, and it takes all of my willpower to maintain a semblance of composure.

In that moment, we are suspended in time, the world around us fading away. It's as if there's no one else in the construction site but us, our past entwined with our present, a delicate thread of unfinished business.

But deep down, I know that this tension cannot be ignored forever. There are questions that need to be answered, wounds that need to be healed. The path ahead is uncertain, filled with obstacles and potential heartache.

I tear my gaze away from Noah's captivating eyes, taking a shaky breath. The tension remains, simmering beneath the surface, waiting for the right moment to be unleashed.

For now, I push aside the emotions swirling within me, determined to navigate this fragile dance with caution.

My eyes are drawn to the necklace adorning Noah's neck. My heart skips a beat as I notice the familiar pendant hanging from it. He still has it, after all these years. The necklace, with the words "sincerely yours" etched on its surface, holds a picture inside, a reminder of what we once shared.

Noah's gaze follows mine, and his eyes lock with mine. I see a flicker of emotion pass through his expression, a mixture of longing and pain.

He glances down at my hand, his eyes fixated on the engagement ring sparkling on my finger. The air around us crackles with an undeniable tension.

He closes his eyes for a moment, as if battling an inner turmoil.

When he opens them again, there's a fire in his gaze, and he moves closer to me. His voice, laced with restrained anger, cuts through the silence like a sharp blade.