23. it's not easy being smitten

I woke up to the feeling of Beck's lips on my cheek, my body flush with his as he peppered kisses across my face. I groaned as my eyes fluttered open, his face hovering above mine as he pressed his lips against mine.

"Good morning, love," he murmured, resting his forehead against mine.

I smiled sleepily, wrapping my arms around his neck as he kissed me. "Morning," I mumbled.

"Did you sleep well?" He asked, pulling the blankets over us.

I hummed, snuggling against his chest as I slid my hand into his hair. "Mmm, you wore me out," I breathed, kissing his neck.

"I was very proud of you," he whispered, pressing his lips to mine. "You're so brave," he said, his thumb brushing along my cheek. "So strong, and so beautiful,"

I flushed, feeling butterflies in my stomach at his words. "Thank you," I whispered.

He smiled softly, his fingers brushing along my bare skin. "How are you feeling this morning?"

I shrugged, shifting so I was curled against his side. "Happy," I placed a soft kiss on his shoulder, snuggling closer to him and resting my head on his chest. "I like being here," I murmured, tracing shapes on his skin. "In your bed,"

"I like having you here. You look good in my bed." he pressed a kiss to my forehead, brushing his thumb across my cheekbone.

I tilted my head, pressing a soft kiss on his scarred wrist. "I'm sorry you were so lonely," I whispered.

He smiled sadly. "It's okay, love," he murmured, his hands sliding up my back. "I'm here with you now, and that's all that matters."

I nodded, kissing his wrist again. "I missed you so much," my stomach twisted as I took in his sad expression. "I thought I was doing okay, but I missed you every day. I missed you so much it hurt,"

He held me tight against his chest, resting his chin on top of my head as I clung to him. "I know, Em. It's okay, we're here now."

"I don't want to go home," I murmured, letting out a soft sigh.

"You don't have to," he said, pulling the blankets closer around us. "You can stay as long as you want,"

I lifted my head to look at him, the morning sun shining through the window and onto his face. "You look so pretty," I smiled, mesmerized by the way the light glimmered in his grey eyes.

"Pretty?" He echoed, laughing. "I don't think I've ever been called pretty." He mused.

I tsked. "That's a shame, because you, Beckett St. Claire, are the prettiest person I've ever seen."

He snorted, wrapping his arms around me. "I don't know about that," he said, brushing the hair out of my face. "But you're pretty cute, if I do say so myself," I rolled my eyes and his smile grew, his eyes shining bright with adoration. "Promise me you'll never stop rolling your eyes,"

I bit my lip, meeting his gaze. "I promise. As long as you never stop saying stuff to make me roll my eyes,"

"Deal." He murmured.

✣✣✣

Beck and I laid together for what felt like an eternity. And yet, it wasn't enough. Eventually, Jen's calls from the kitchen ushered us out of bed, and we made our way downstairs, timing our arrivals a few minutes apart- to evade any suspicion.

Though, Jen's soft smile as I entered the kitchen after Beck told me everything I needed to know. Her knowing eyes. The slight flush to her cheeks. She knew. I should have been embarrassed. I wasn't.